Audio upgrade in E60 535d

Biscuits

MyFirstBeemer - any progress yet?

hi mate

just bought the tweeters literally about 5 mins ago..L7 ones cost me £90 in total (38+vat each)

Will be fitting them soon as phase 1 of the project.

Will be taking pics and noting down what i done im pretty sure i know what do. Following gizze's advice i found some good stuff on E60 Info Network... update soon

I'm now really struggling to decide which way to go:

1) just get a 2 channel amp to drive the existing speakers (plus the Logic 7 tweeters)

or

2) get the 5 channel amp, change the subs for Earthquakes and add the Logic 7 tweeters.

Can't decide if the extra cost and hassle of option 2 is worth it, particularly as I'm struggling to find any time to do this sort of thing. However, I don't want to do option 1 and then think it's not much of an improvement and I wish I'd done option 2.

Cost for option 1 is about £190 (excl tweeters). Option 2 is about £485 (excl tweeters) and a lot more time/messing around removing trim etc.

Anyone actually done option 1? What were the results like? My main worry is the 6.5" subs (well, mid bass really) aren't up to the job of producing decent bass. I've looked on the BMW parts list and the standard subs aren't even the same as the hi-fi ones, let alone the Logic 7 ones.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just ordered the SWS-8 subs off eBay. Couldn't be bothered with importing them from the states and they are bound to be a cheaper option than buying the L7 BMW ones from the stealers.

Earthquake SWS-8 - 8" Shallow Mount Woofer System on eBay, also Sub-Woofers Tubes, Speakers, In-Car Entertainment GPS, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 24-Oct-08 15:00:12 BST)

Ordering the amp and umbilical PnP lead today too. Just need to get the tweeters and the plastic trim/grills now from BMW, oh and a dry weekend to fit it all. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Have just done the Logic7 front speaker upgrade and thanks to GizzE and an M3Post forum member, it only took me 45 minutes.

Hardest part is knowing how the door card unclip, it really is just a matter of taking the TORX bolts out and prising it off. I bought some Volvo Bone Toolss off eBay and they were a god send!

VOLVO PLASTIC BONE TRIM TOOL - Brand New - on eBay, also, Hand Tools, Garage Equipment Tools, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 28-Oct-08 12:41:44 GMT)

Anyway, the sound is already much much better, even without upgrading the amp and subs, which is my next job (but can't do it in my lunch hour!)

Stock midrange driver on left, Logic7 on right. Front view...

L7_upgrade_front_3.jpg

Rear View

L7_upgrade_front_5.jpg

As I had not tweeter grills in the door corner trims, I had to order them along with the foam insert.

L7_upgrade_front_2.jpg

All just clips together... very easy...

L7_upgrade_front_6.jpg

Fitted. The rubber glass trim is a bit of a fiddle to get back under the plastic trim and I suspect if you miss this proceedure you'll end up with wind noise.

L7_upgrade_front_8.jpg

The "clips" that I also ordered remained in place, so I have a couple spare if anyone needs them.

Next job is the subs... and running the loom from the head unit to the boot for the amp upgrade.

:grin:

Hi all

my situation has changed. I had an opportunity to upgrade cars and now have a LCI 530d with H-fi loudspeaker option.

So i have some Logic 7 Tweeters i dont need. I bought these for £90+ and they are unused. I will be accepting reasonable offers for these tweeters , pick up in west london. Anyone want these??

Also some questions for Gizze..

1. Can i still upgrade my Hi-fi loudspeaker subs with the SWS-8 non 2 ohm subs i have in my posession?? Or do i need the 2 ohm ones??

2. If i do this will i need to upgrade the amp?? and if so which amp do i need??

3. Any rewiring required with the fore mentioned upgrades??

Thanks

The easiest way is take the signal going to the subs from the stock amp and drive a small 2 channel amp with it, this could then feed your subs.

The 2ohm subs are designed for the L7 amp.

Also you may find it is worth putting the L7 tweeter in your car, they are better than the hi-fi tweeter.

Biscuits,

I'm slightly confused. Did you replace the standard tweeters and the midrange door speakers? I thought Gizze said that the L7 tweeter upgrade was a good easy upgrade, but have you also found out that replacing the front door speakers is worth doing too?

If so, is there an even better option than the BMW L7 midrange speakers?

Does the standard system need better bass for example (if you aren't adding the subwoofers) and hence there might be a more appropriate door speaker?

I hope to get a 2nd hand 5 series (probably with standard audio) very soon and have been following this thread for ages.

Cheers.

Biscuits - I thought you were buying the SWS-8s? It appears you've bought the Logic 7 subs. How much were they and where did you get them?

Was your stereo standard or Hi-Fi?

Edit: Sorry, just realised that's the Logic 7 mid range. Let me know what you think about just upgrading the Mid range without the sub and amp. Would be interested to see if you think it's worth it.

PUNAS: I upgraded the mid-range speakers in the front door cards... well... just because I was there already doing the tweeters, so thought I mights as well. I have noticed they are not as bassy as the original full range speakers they replaced, so the system is now very bright with little/no bass. The stock underseat subs are utter sh!te being driven off the head unit.

smarty156: Yeah, I've got the Earthquake SWS-8's here ready to fit when I get a spare day.

My system was the standard one (not HiFi, ProDSP or Individual)

+++

Edited by Biscuits

I have noticed they are not as bassy as the original full range speakers they replaced, so the system is now very bright with little/no bass.

Maybe they need more power through them to produce more bass as they are designed to be run from the Logic 7 amp?

I can't decide if it's worth doing the full monty with an amp and the SWS-8s or just add a 4 channel amp to the existing set up. I'm actually quite happy with the bass at the moment with it turned up 4 notches on the tone control. Treble is up 2 or 3 depending how I feel. To me this actually sounds quite good and I do like good quality music (have Arcam and KEF kit at home). Obviously it doesn't go that low but it's pretty punchy. I'm more inclined to go the simpler/cheaper route of just adding an amp and leaving the subs as is.

I can't decide if it's worth doing the full monty with an amp and the SWS-8s or just add a 4 channel amp to the existing set up. I'm actually quite happy with the bass at the moment with it turned up 4 notches on the tone control. Treble is up 2 or 3 depending how I feel. To me this actually sounds quite good and I do like good quality music (have Arcam and KEF kit at home). Obviously it doesn't go that low but it's pretty punchy. I'm more inclined to go the simpler/cheaper route of just adding an amp and leaving the subs as is.

It sounds like you should go for the BMW Alpine upgrade kit then. It's a 4 channel Alpine amp, new tweeters and mid-range speakers, wiring harness and crossovers. I was quoted £225 by my dealer, so it's a pretty cheap upgrade compared to doing the whole lot. I'm pretty sure I'll get this for our 1 series, as I can't be bothered spending too much on it.

RealOEM.COM   BMW E92 320d RETROFIT KIT HIFI SYSTEM ALPINE

This is a very good thread on e90post showing you the kit being installed.

Alpine Hifi upgrade - BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum - E90Post.com

+++

The L7 mid ranges are 2ohm instead of 4ohm so they are now louder than the subs by quite some margin, that is why you have lost bass weight.

I knew you'd be along to explain everything Guy :beer:

Would explain why the levels are now all over the place and I can't drive the subs hard enough without the mids being too loud.

Will have the amp and subs seperatly run soon, so this should fix it all.

It sounds like you should go for the BMW Alpine upgrade kit then. It's a 4 channel Alpine amp, new tweeters and mid-range speakers, wiring harness and crossovers. I was quoted £225 by my dealer, so it's a pretty cheap upgrade compared to doing the whole lot. I'm pretty sure I'll get this for our 1 series, as I can't be bothered spending too much on it.

RealOEM.COM * BMW E92 320d RETROFIT KIT HIFI SYSTEM ALPINE

This is a very good thread on e90post showing you the kit being installed.

Alpine Hifi upgrade - BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum - E90Post.com

+++

I have a 5 series (E61) and I don't think they do any upgrades. However, I've already fitted the L7 tweeters and you can get a 4 channel Blaupunkt amp with wiring harness for about £230. Think I'll go this route eventually. normally I'd do the subs etc but never have the time at the moment and we've got a baby due in February so it will only get worse!

It appears Earthquake now make a 2 Ohm version of the SWS-8.

Does that mean I can now just add the Blaupunkt 4 channel amp with wiring loom and just slot the 2 Ohm SWS-8 in place of the existing subs without running any other wires (if you install the 6 channel one you need to run wires directly to the 4 Ohm versions)?

I'm confused now then.

What are the existing speakers impedance in standard stereo set ups (i.e. with the subs and front door speakers all run in parallel)? If the subs are 4 ohm as standard why can't the normal 4 Ohm SWS-8's just be swapped like for like and run off the existing front speaker wiring (i.e. still in parallel)? Why do the SWS-8's have to be run directly from a 5/6 channel amp seperately?

Sorry for all the questions but I thought the reason the SWS-8's had to be run directly from a seperate amp was because they were 4 Ohm whereas the original subs were 2 Ohm.

I'm confused now then.

What are the existing speakers impedance in standard stereo set ups (i.e. with the subs and front door speakers all run in parallel)? If the subs are 4 ohm as standard why can't the normal 4 Ohm SWS-8's just be swapped like for like and run off the existing front speaker wiring (i.e. still in parallel)? Why do the SWS-8's have to be run directly from a 5/6 channel amp seperately?

Sorry for all the questions but I thought the reason the SWS-8's had to be run directly from a seperate amp was because they were 4 Ohm whereas the original subs were 2 Ohm.

The reason you need to run the SWS's off a seperate amp is the head unit is not up to driving it directly, it also gives you the ability to trim the levels between the mids/tweeters and the sub, something you can't do with the stock wiring.

There is a company that sell a replacement "drop straight in" sub called "Audio System AX 08 BMW Sub". I can't find the URL, but it would make the installation a bit easier.

So it's just a power issue then? All existing speakers are 4 Ohm?

If that's the case then I could drop in the SWS-8s, add the THA 475 four channel amp, bridge the 4 channels into 2 to give 2 x 180W RMS and power all front/subs from that (using all existing wiring), leaving the head unit to power the rears? That way, I can also put the smaller 4 channel amp below the glove box which would make the whole job a lot simpler.

Thoughts anyone?

Gizzee,

Newbie here, wanting to make sure I understand everything clearly. I have a 535i with non-L7 audio and want to upgrade my audio. Is it your humble opinion that I should upgrade to Earthquake subs SWS-8 using Bruce Mirandas suggestions and then upgrade the tweeters to L7? I saw some posts that suggested a Blaupunkt amp upgrade but I was inclear if that would work for my install.

Thanks so much for all your help.