996 Help Please...!?

Phil84afc

Hi guys,

I currently drive a Boxster and turn 25 in January, so am thinking it might be time to take the plunge on a 911, as prices have come down so much!

My budget is limited to around £20,000 and for that I can seemingly either get an X/Y 3.4 with 45-60,000 miles or an 51/02 3.6 with circa 60-80,000 miles.

I prefer the look of the facelift model but my biggest concerns are the eventual resale price and running costs. Am I better off getting the older less mileage model or the newer higher mileage model? Is there much difference in mpg and performance between the 3.4 and 3.6 engine?

I dont really care if it's coupe, targa or cabriolet, my only stipulation is that I'm really not the biggest fan of autos... (for driving and fuel consumption as I do a fiar bit of town driving)

Any help would be really really appreciated as I need to make sure I invest my money wisely...

Thanks in advance,

Phil

Buy on condition. Look at as many as you can; an 80k miler that has been cared for will be better than a 45k-er that hasn't. The facelifted model is distinctly better in a lot of respects (although I would say that, wouldn't I!) and - comparing two at the same price - has done more depreciating for you so may have less left still to do.

However, it depends on the history of the older one. If it has been tended to by someone like Autofarm to deal with the early 996 engine issues, then it may in fact be a stronger car.

In the end, it's a Porsche so have fun looking at as many as you can and buy the one you fall in love with.

And yes, steer clear of the auto box.