Test speakers including rears on Audi A3 with vag com 419 activated???

jamieg

Can anyone advise how I run a test on speakers with vag com, my rears dont work but I don't get any error codes via vag com so am looking to test.

You can't. The front speakers on a non-Bose setup are monitored but the rear speakers are never monitored.

If the rear speakers don't work then I'd start at the amplifier (sounds like you don't have Bose so the front speakers are driven directly from the head unit but the rear speakers from an external amp). Check it has power first.

Yeah its non bose, been searching internet high and low and found out about the amp and where it is, just need to check it out, is there a fuse in the normal box for it?

Don't think it's got a fuse just for the amp, anything else not working? Try popping the cover off the fuse box and giving them all a quick eye ball.

Is it best to test with multi meter?

Reckon so.

You can't. The front speakers on a non-Bose setup are monitored but the rear speakers are never monitored.

If the rear speakers don't work then I'd start at the amplifier (sounds like you don't have Bose so the front speakers are driven directly from the head unit but the rear speakers from an external amp). Check it has power first.

How can this be checked for power? not sure where to check with the multi meter.

My car had a rear end shunt about 3yr's ago now and when I think about it six months after that the issue started, music crackling in and out on the rear speakers then just stopped one day.

I've had the amp out, wow that's a fiddly job and the cables are bloody tight too, after looking them over it appears one of the cables was bent and had been creased at some point, the cable is not a electrical cable it's one with a jack type plug on the end "there is two of these"

How can I test if it's good or what can I do without throwing money down the drain on a new amp if it's not required?

How can this be checked for power? not sure where to check with the multi meter.

We need someone to post the pinouts of the non-Bose amp here...

I've had the amp out, wow that's a fiddly job and the cables are bloody tight too, after looking them over it appears one of the cables was bent and had been creased at some point, the cable is not a electrical cable it's one with a jack type plug on the end "there is two of these"

Sounds a bit like that's an "electrical cable" to me if it has a jack plug on the end!

• 2 weeks later...

Many,, many years ago I had a summer job fitting car hi-fi.

Crude but good test for speaker functionality, is to find the relevant 2 wires to the speaker to be tested, and assuming you can access the terminals, hold one wire to each end of a 1.5v battery. As you rub the terminals on the battery, it should create a crackling sound in the speaker, which would mean it's working. If not, then it MIGHT help isolate a creased / damaged cable ....

Worth a try, but only when you're running out of ideas .... )