A5 DIS mpg error compared with actual mpg

guyrj

Managed to get an A5 2.7 multitronic for couple of days whilst my A4 Avant 3.0TDi serviced (up for sale shortly by the way if anyone's interested- b**dy difficult to find anything better, let me know if you want spec - got a few miles so price going to be sensible).

A5 DIS was showing 42.8mpg on long motorway journey - but I dont believe it for a second.

Anyone got an actual mpg (tankful to tankful) figure compared to DIS reading.

Multitronic amazingly good btw, used to be absolute c**p but Audi have boviously worked on s/w and now works really well,especially with paddles.

• 2 months later...
Managed to get an A5 2.7 multitronic for couple of days whilst my A4 Avant 3.0TDi serviced (up for sale shortly by the way if anyone's interested- b**dy difficult to find anything better, let me know if you want spec - got a few miles so price going to be sensible).

A5 DIS was showing 42.8mpg on long motorway journey - but I dont believe it for a second.

Multitronic amazingly good btw, used to be absolute c**p but Audi have boviously worked on s/w and now works really well,especially with paddles.

If I can get 35mpg from an A8 4-litre diesel on a long motorway journey, I would certainly believe 43mpg from a lighter A5.

Not trusting DIS MPG is why some of us have VAG-COM/VCDS :grin:

Consumption in DIS:

STG 17 - Instruments

STG Adaptation -> Channel 3

change 100 to 104

Sample 1:

DIS: 9,3 l/100 km.

Real: 9,8 l/100 km. (100/9,3*9,8 = 105,38)

Channel 3 will be changed from 100 to 105

Sample 2 :

DIS: 7,8 l/100 km.

Real: 6,9 l/100 km. (100/7,8*6,9 = 88,46)

Channel 3 will be changed from 100 to 88

+++

The DIS on my Bora TDi is spot on. DIS reports average of 56mpg, my calculations show 56 mpg!!!

Hi folks, missed the replies -thanks.

Quick story

the A5 2.7TDi Multitronic was a loaner - did 42MPG on the DIS.

Didn't believe a word of it.

My previous A4(B7) Avant 3.0TDi Quattro

DIS reading was 44MPG, actual was 36.5 !!!

Now own an A5 3.0TDi Quattro (spot the theme)

41.5 DIS, actual is 40.5.

Bl..dy Ell - that is not bad given my driving.

- my thinking compared to A4 is:

bit lighter, smaller frontal area, longer 6th gear, new ECU and one hell of an efficient engine in the real world. Only pity is that it sounds a bit more dieselly than the old A4 which had a gorgeous thrum. Big thumbs down to Audi's acoustic engineers.

For more comparison, recently had an A4 2.0TDi S-Line - DIS was 42MPG for same route

think it must have been the low PS variant - absolutely gutless engine but the ride was astonishingly good for 20inch wheels 35 profile tyres, I was expecting to need new teeth.

If Audi can do this good with supension, they really need to get round the rest of the range fast.