[Audi A2] A2 purchasing

SneakyMcC

Hello Gang

We're considering an A2. Ideally I thought 1.4TDI.

1. Are there any issues with these cars?

2. Whats the poop with some cars having 3 rear seats?

3. Autotrader lists the 1.4L & 1.6L petrol engines as both doing 34mpg (urban).

4. Servicing: Whats the story, do these have in-accessible engines?

Ta,

Sneaky

a2oc.net is a great source of info on these.

1. A2 can suffer issues with anti roll bars knocking, cats on certain models as they get older, I've had 2 and tbh they were probably the most faultless audis ive owned, 1 had arb go and replaced under dealer warrenty.

2. From factory you could order split fold rear seat or a bench. Split option gives you only 2 seats / seat belts / headrests, these seats fold down individually and can be removed. Bench option gives you single bench seat in rear with 3 headrests and seatbelts, bench can be folded and removed, but I purposely made sure both mind had 2 seat option.

3. I've only had petrols and I'd have thought the 1.4 was a bit better than that. My 1.6 used to average between 33 and 36 in daily use but would see far higher on a journey. tdi will give you easily upto 70 and if you fancy a lefty then you can find 1.2tdis which will see nearer 100mpg.

4. Never had an issue with service, the engine bay is pretty clear of plastic rubbish unlike many modern cars, bonnet has 2 catches at the front behind the service flap (front grill) and then bonnet just pulls off. I honeslty cannot remember how hard oil change was when I did it, but it cannot have been too much trouble otherwise i'd remember.

Another thing to be mindful of is the difference between se and sport spec - the sport comes with nice 17" alloys and sport suspension (slightly better seats, DIS) and tbh it can be a bit firm on british roads, it looks nice with the bigger wheels, but if I were buying for mostly town driving then i'd probably look for an SE with smaller wheels and softer suspension. Having said that in sport trim it is pretty good when you are in a rush.

Would I buy another A2 - absolutely. Spec is a real major 'issue' on these as many came with nothing on, and if you want certain options you could be prepared for a long look. Stuff like elec rear windows is a pain to retrofit, and if you want Nav in the future (Craigyb can do you a rns instal) then you need to find a car with factory symphony as otherwise the double din unit doesnt fit!!!! Factory symphony cars have a different dash to the standard single tape / cd units :o For me i'd want split rear seats, opensky, symphony, air con (depending upon age/model of car you are looking at) and elec rear windows anything else would be nice.

Anything more let me know and check out the a2 site its good for any info and more accurate info on common issues.

a2oc.net is a great source of info on these.

///////////////////////

Anything more let me know and check out the a2 site its good for any info and more accurate info on common issues.

Crikey, TSN always comes up trumps in these situations, but this is a blinkin Top Post! Thank you...now the old grey matter is wirring away, we met about 300yrs ago...Winsor's A8 meet?

Crikey, TSN always comes up trumps in these situations, but this is a blinkin Top Post! Thank you...now the old grey matter is wirring away, we met about 300yrs ago...Winsor's A8 meet?

Yes I used to do the Windsor meet when I lived / worked in London - drove over a couple of times following Lagoo / Daz. Came once with a nice pink TT, once with my A2 (below) and a few others as well.

A2Side001.sized.jpg

We`ve had our A2 tdi 18 months now and can honestly say its a brill little car. OK best bit its only £30 a year tax and can get 60mpg but i believe these are great little cars. To get a bit more info visit Audi A2 Owners' Club . The only thing i would mention is anything pre 2002 i think rear door speakers was a paid option as i found out on my 2001 model.