Need some good advice please look

daviesbike

ok i have been offered 5k for my 1999 A8 4.2 40valve i was in the middle of vinyl wrapping the car from silver to black when i was offered 5k cash there and then im keeping the car for him and i want the 2002 S8 40valve with the alecantra package found a gun metal grey one for 4250 on ph shall i sell mine and get the S8 yes or no what you think ?

Audi : HIGH SPEC 2002 FINAL EDITION AUDI S8 4.2 QUATTRO

thats the car :confused::confused: what do i do, its a good offer for my car but will i get the same reliability ect from the s8 ?

really need help please thanks ps he is a friend of mine so we will come up to the meet in june together if i can decide what to do

im still vinyl wrapping my car though as im half way there now and im not peeling it off,

whats the big difference though its only 50bhp more than mine as mine is the 40valve with 312bhp any way + i now have the rs6 wheels and the brembo turismo breaks and its a fully loaded moddel i have looked on the net for one with the same spec as mine and its so hard to find, the s8 seems to come with less frills ect... so confusing but 5k for my car is a very good price AAAhhhh what to do

Bite his hand of. Your cars worth is £3kish max. The S8 will be a totally different drive, better brakes, much quicker just 6-7mpg less on a run. That S8 has about as decent a spec you will find on any S8 anyway and is high spec (including tyre pressure monitoring,heated screen,bi Xenons) you would be crazy not to do it. That 50 BHP and brakes/gearing/suspension will mean it's like a completely different car. Feel sorry for the poor guy paying 5k for yours though, he must be crazy. The wheels alone on that S8 you will sell for at least a grand and would sell in less then a few hours to a day anyway so don't worry about the RS 6 reps on yours.

Edited by SINGH

Have you viewed the S8 or at least spoke to the current owner? There are a few aspects of the advert I'd want to pursue before taking things further.

- service history from 80k onwards isn't mentioned. FASH up to that point is great but 40k without it would worry me.

- The reference to a 6 month transferable warranty suggests to me the current owner hasn't had the car for long hence begging the question why they are selling.

- The gearbox reference. I don't know A8's but guessing if a previous owner replaced this as suggested presumably at a fairly significant cost this would be a selling point and something you'd tell a prospective owner about. Sort of ties into my first point also.

Sorry to sound like a killjoy but if something seems too good to be tries (selling your car for more than it's worth etc.) then it probably is. Good luck.

PS. Don't worry about it being in Liverpool - I bought a registration from a scouser and it's been very reliable :roflmao:.

I agree with everything said....

Any offer above 3K for yours is worthy of serious thought, and yours devalues for every customisation you do - I'm not knocking your upgrades at all, but they do devalue the car rather than add to it, even though you might be putting a lot of cash into it.

The S8 has 50bhp more, but it has shorter gear ratios and moves a lot quicker. It is a different beast, especially as yours isnt even a 'sport' model.

But mainly, the S8 is the best of the best, and if you're going to do serious mods like wraps, brakes etc, start with the best in the first place is my opinion.... +++

That partcular S8 however, I agree, would need a good looking at before a purchase. There are plenty of good S8's around the 4/5K mark to choose from though...

well you were all correct it was too good to be true, no cambelt or history for the last 45k its a no go would rather drive A than have a big bang in the S, also im back on the net now we moved house and i forgot how much of a pain it is but finally hear and have BT up and running, have since made a few changes to the car new reg plate, tinted windows at last ! rs6 wheels back on, and brembo's how is every one doing ? is there going to be many attending the meet in june ?