What exercise do you do now? (this will lead into the TsN Q4 2012 Fitness Programme)

Mook

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Started reading Born to Run the other day. If you haven't heard of it, it's a cult running book that has been blamed for the surge in popularity of barefoot running. It's a great read and really inspiring me to get out for my morning runs +++

I also read What I Talk About When I Talk About Running last year and that was pretty inspirational too. Totally recommended and I'd say that neither books are aimed completely at runners and are light enough for anyone :)

No I don't get any commission :) Just thought it might be of interest for anyone looking for other sources of inspiration.

Definitely when you see the way TeamGB et al train. None of your 1,000m in 4 minutes on the gym rowing machine. Proper hardcore +++

Do you know where you can find footage of the rowing team training? I've seen Redgrave pass out on a Concept 2 and Cracknell become delirious through effort before. It is difficult to get across just how hard these guys train.

On the Concept 2 I can pull, for a short while, 1:30 500m. But that effort doesn't last 1min 30 and these guys do it for ages!

1:30 - ooooh, for about 30 seconds! That is me pulling flat out without, I suspect, the world's best technique. Can probably pull a bit better than that, high 1:20's maybe. Maybe not, last time I tried to max out was part of a fitness test at the gym last year. 6 x 30s efforts with 30s rest - managed just under 1k in that time with rapidly diminishing returns after the first two efforts!

Just to put some of these regimes into context, I'm trying ot shed a pound or so a week mostly by eating (a bit) less crap and trying to get out walking at least half an hour a day - currently aiming for an average 5000 steps per day. My intention is that when I've lost the 10lb I've regained since a year ago and then some more I'll feel like upping the exercise - plans include light cardio in the gym (I'm in a hotel with a free gym 2/3 nights a week and haven't used it yet... :P ), some 'proper' walking at weekends, and planning to buy a hybrid bike - mostly for light trails/cycle paths and an alternative way to maintain fitness, very unlikely to become a MTB/road bike obsession..... hopefully... :uhoh:

All I really need is a bit of willpower to get me from one stage to the next.

1:30 - ooooh, for about 30 seconds! That is me pulling flat out without, I suspect, the world's best technique. Can probably pull a bit better than that, high 1:20's maybe. Maybe not, last time I tried to max out was part of a fitness test at the gym last year. 6 x 30s efforts with 30s rest - managed just under 1k in that time with rapidly diminishing returns after the first two efforts!

Intervals on the rowing machine is a great way to up your rowing fitness - try 30s flat out, 30s at 70%, 30s flat out, 30s at 70% etc. You'll get to 250m in 50 seconds no problem after a while. I'm happy with 1,000m in 4 minutes, 1 minute at 60% pace, then another 1,000 in 4 mins. Gets you panting :D

All I really need is a bit of willpower to get me from one stage to the next.

It's no different to stopping or starting something else. With all the encouragement in the world, it's not going to work unless you really want to do it. Best of luck combatting that demon +++

Bit like Kwik Fit? I know of a guy with MASSIVE guns you could have as an employee!

It would have to be KwikiFit wouldn't it - or is that a brothel..? :P

And if I bought a garage, I'd just buy airguns for taking the wheel nuts off - and putting them back on. Cross-threaded and so tight that even a 12 foot bar on the end of your weedy 17" socket wouldn't work :D