(Another - not really!) Home network query

Waylander

It's been a while and you know you have missed it!

Okay current steady state: Virgin SHUB in office downstairs.

It offers 2G and 5G wifi which I have imaginately called Virgin-2G and Virgin-5G

Old Sky router has been reflashed and set as an access point up in my bedroom (via a switch up in the loft)

I have set the SSID of it as Virgin-2G

I also have one of those TP-link repeaters/access points mentioned on here and it can also repeat both the 2G and 5G signal so I have connected that to the sky router with a cable, also set it as an access point and called its SSID Virgin-5G.

DHCP for the TPLInk and Sky is off.

I have set discrete non-overlapping channels for these (1/11; with the SHUB usually on 6)

SO the master plan is that I have excellent wifi coerage throughout the house of both the 2G and the 5G range

I have connected a freeview box to the sky router too and do have internet access but I suspect I am getting really slow ping times - I don't know how to test this though.

I also randomly get the message on my phone when I connect (not often) to wifi (has happened onece upstairs and once downstairs) that I have 2 wifi with the same name and do I want to delete one entry (something like that). I do that and it seems to work fine.

Also while I have called the SSID of the TPLink Virgin-2G how can I check if it is actually broadcasting the 5G wifi signal and not simply on the 2G band but with a different name?

I have wondered if I am connecting the (newer) TPLink via the (older) sky which was not capable of 5G band if the TPLink cannot transmit a 5G signal as it isn't receiving it (or something - I know I am not making myself clear here).

So in a nutshell:

the issue with the ping times - how to check from upstairs router?

the random messages about SSID with same name but different values on the phone and generally how best to manage the wifi "properly" would be greatly appreciated +++

Is your phone an android? You could use this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en to check what's going on with the SSIDs and also (if your phone supports it) flip between 2.4/5GHz to check the SSIDs are being broadast on the right channels/frequencies.

Failing that you can stick inSSIDer on your Windows Laptop http://files.metageek.net/downloads/inSSIDer-installer.msi

To check the network connectivity you could try pinging using your from phone using this https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.overlook.android.fing&hl=en (again android only). Also check the network strength using either of the above.

You did lose me at current, but as far as i know, a repeater wouldn't have a cabled connection to the network. That's more of an access point. It might be you've created a switching loop of power and might by plugging your repeater into the the same LAN (assuming all your access points just bridge between your WifI/LAN, which is what most access points do). 

• Like 1

ooh a reply from Caesar himself - I feel honoured :grin:

Phone is a windows mobile

I will try using the laptop then with the SSID thingy as above - thanks

Maybe I was unclear (has been known to happen!)

The TPLink was previously set as a repeater and was repeating the 5G wifi signal.

I changed it and set it as an access point but have plugged it into the back of the old Sky router which I have also set as an access point. The intention of doing this was to have both bands of wifi being broadcast via the 2 access points (and the sky router also asks as a mini-switch for the freeview box etc)

okay for the N<1 of you interested - I think I have got to the bottom of it (Thanks again Bison for the wifi analyzer heads up)

the TPLink can see 5G networks but only broadcast in 2.4GHz so basically I have managed to set up an SSID called 5GHz wifi which is broadcasting on 5G downstairs and 2G upstairs, and next to it upstairs is an SSID called 2GHz broadcasting on 2GHz as well (from the same SHUB).
D'oh!

So will turn off wifi on the older sky router and rename TPLink one 2G

• Like 1

You've not done it properly until you've cut yourself off and have to get out a copper patch lead  ;)

Oh and if you want to force a device onto one wavelength on your Shperhub2 e.g. 5G then go into Advanced settings and for the wavelength you DON'T want it on, add the device's MAC address to the Wireless Filter list and set that list to "Allow All Devices, unless in Wireless Filter List".

I have both bands with the same SSID and force as many as possible onto 5G by blocking them on the 2G.  +++ 

Alternatively you can be really anal and only allow certain MAC's on certain wavelengths but it's a pain in the but to do for every device. Depends how secure you're trying to be .... and people can spoof MAC's anyway.

Edited by Scotty
  • Like 1

Wasn't really for security Scotty it was to have more efficient throughput.

I now have excellent 2G coverage throughout.

5G signal will only be from the SHUB and it is poor upstairs so until I get hold of a 5GHz repeater/access point I will have to stick to 5G downstairs and 2G upstairs

Edited by Waylander