R32 For Towing?!?!?

foz01

Hi there folks, considering coming back to the VAG stable, previously had a modified TT smile.gif

Now however i need something that will tow my track car- a Throttle bodied stripped & caged Honda S2000 in case anyones interested smirk.gif

Car + trailer will prob come in at 1400 odd kg's

Now searching the Net a towing limit of 1400kg's is listed in Australia but the VW UK advise the car isn't suitable for towing confused.gif

Has anyone fitted a towbar to an R32, or 4Motion for that matter and if so any issues?!?

would want a detacheable one so as not to spoil the lines when not towing..

cheers in advance

foz laugh.gif

As far as I'm aware the VAG towbars for the Mk4 Golfs, Passats etc are detachable.

Not sure about the aftermarket brands though.

As for towing 1400kgs, the R32 can cope just as long as you're prepared to put the extra strain on the drivetrain & clutch.

Cheers

Drivetrain can handle a lot more power than the R32 can put down, as for the clutch i am sure it would be ok, would only have to pull it every 2 weeks max... 4wd will be good for pulling out of muddy fields at hillclimbs blush.gif

might call the stealer to see how much the bar costs..

car will obviously get remapped and milltek'd by the way grin.gif

I can tell you for the S3 Bosal fit removable towbars and it is easily done by any tow bar company. The dealers are not much use, mine didn't fit towbars, they just sent the cars to GT Towing, Potters Bar. The S3 has a cavity behind the rear bumper for the tow bar assembly and it doesn't need the bumper to be cut out.

All the info I used was found at:

TOWBARS DIRECT - Info/Sales Tel: 01925 730005

Bosal (UK) Ltd, Unit 330 Four Oaks Road, Walton Summit Centre, Bamber Bridge, Preston, Lancashire PR5 8AP

Tel: 01772 771000

Fax: 01772 312750

E-mail: [email protected]

For the S3 the permitted towable weights are:

740kg unbraked

1600kg braked

(I tow an 18ft Ring powerboat with no problems at all, on the odd weekends when I can get out and use it!)

Have you thought about an S3 instead? With a switcheable remap you would get the best of both worlds. If you can get a tow bar and electrics for the R32 you will have no worries. Hope this helps cool.gif

Hey cheers for that smile.gif

I have considered an S3 yeah but i have previously had a TT and already done the 1.8t tuning etc, fancy a crack at the V6 laugh.gif

Problem seems to be messing about cutting out the rear bumper and i want to be able to take of the hitch and make it so you wouldn't know it had a tow bar on there..

Seems the 4Motion is ok with th tow bar so i am assuming the R32 would be ok as well, wonder why the S3 can pull 1600 yet the R32 only 1400?!?

Also wonder if the std/milltek would interfere with the tow bar?!

Whats the R32's torque out of interest smile.gif

cheers

folks

foz smile.gif

I have had a quick loot at the underside of the S3 with the removable towbar out and the electrical socket flipped down. The standard exhaust is mounted forward of the tow bar assembly well away from the rear bumper.

The S3 towing weights are straight out of the handbook and seems a bit odd that the R32 is less.

Cruise control is very handy too.

It just may be the case that VW never designed the R32 to take a tow bar, like the Honda S2000.

Hi

As per Dubzter`s post the R32 is unsuitable for towing due to the siting of the exhaust. This different than on a 4-motion, so if you require a tow bar this will have to be designed by a after market company for your car, and be a one off. (Looks like one hell of a cost)

Cheers

STOKEY

beerchug.gif

Yes I`m back after a long absence.

Moving away from the VAG camp a Scooby WRX estate would make a good tow car and you could tinker away with mods to your heart is content. Or a good old fashioned landy for those days you need it and then something else for the weekend!

Cheers folks, although not good news, was fancying an R32 frown.gif

As for a scoob, no thanks, only wagon i would consider is an RS4 and they are a bit too pricy laugh.gif

Will look into S3's as well, new S4 would be nice but again a bit too pricy tongue.gif

Really cant justify something purely for towing as i already have a road car, track car and autocross car, was hoping to get the stable down to 3, never mind 4 blush.gif

I want something thats fun, looks cool.gif yet i can throw a towbar on it and pull my track car without a problem.

Like i said the towing will only be every 2nd weeikend at most so it needs to be good the rest of the time too smile.gif

The evo is a 50k blueprinted engined special and using it to tow a track car is prob a bit mental crazy.gif

next for consideration is an M3, can they tow tongue.gif

have to say a bit fecked off the R32 doesn't as really quite fancied one frown.gif

just thought i would add my 10p.

I would phone up bosil as i was watching when they fitted a removeable towbar to the S3.

All they did was remove the metal crash bar from behind the bumber and replace it with a modified one that has the towbar fitted.

Now it wouldn't suprise me if the S3 and R32 bar is the same size.

chris

• 6 months later...

Yep. You can fit a towbar to the R32. My local garage did to mine ( sacrilege I know but neccessary ) and she tows very well. Mine is a standard V6 4-Motion removeable hitch and the only modification required was to cut away the bottom bar of the central slot of the rear valance. This has been kept and can be replaced at a later date. It was either that or not have the car. I can't live with out a towbar.

Further to the R32 towbar debate - No the head mechanic in my stealers who in his own words is "very fussy" said it was the only way. He was nearly in tears when he took the hacksaw to the rear valance. The problem is in the depth of the rear valance/ bumper and the way that the removeable hitch has to line up. Makes an excellent reversing sensor tho. Anyone that wants a pic of the offending article <font color="red"> Send me a PM </font> . Will post it out as I would'nt know how to start getting it onto the forum.

<font color="#666666"> Edit by Smudge. - If you really want everyone in the world seeing your mobile number, send me a PM & I'll put it back in there for you. Best kept off though buddy! </font> beerchug.gif