A4 TDI 'problems'????

timcoupe

HI all,

I recently got rid of my company car, a '54 A3 2.0 TDI (140) and bought an '03 A4 1.9 TDI Avant (130). Whilst absolutely delighted with the A4, there are a couple of niggles which I wanted to voice, just in case I am being paranoid...

1. The engine seems very 'boomy' on the A4, the engine noise in the cabin is a lot louder than the A3. I have a friend with a Golf TDI 130, same engine as the A4, that has commented on how loud mine is compared to his. Is this something to be concerned about? Is it normal?

2. When the car is low revs, < 1500RPM, the clutch pedal is super smooth, and goes down and up sweetly, however, >1500RPM, there seems to be some resistance as the pedal is pushed down >20% of it's travel. It feels just like there is some hestitation on the spring. My old vauxhalls used to do this all the time, but it is weird that it only happens over a certain rev range. Thoughts?

3. When the car is driven first thing in the morning, just as you pull away, there seems to be a clunking/knock noise from the front drivers side of the car. I wondered if there is some calibration of something happening under the bonnet as it never happens again until the car is stone cold.

4. I have an RNS-D satnav unit, when tweaking the front / rear fader for the stereo purely to the rear, the volume is very low compared to tweaking fully to the front. In fact, you just cannot hear anything from the rears when the settings are equal. Doesn't sound quite right to me, Are there any tests I can do to check if the rear Amp is working?

Thanks!!

Tim.

[ QUOTE ]

When the car is driven first thing in the morning, just as you pull away, there seems to be a clunking/knock noise from the front drivers side of the car. I wondered if there is some calibration of something happening under the bonnet as it never happens again until the car is stone cold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi mate 169144-ok.gif

ABS does a self-test at approx 5mph after first starting, this causes a clunk sound. Can't help with the rest though, sorry.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

When the car is driven first thing in the morning, just as you pull away, there seems to be a clunking/knock noise from the front drivers side of the car. I wondered if there is some calibration of something happening under the bonnet as it never happens again until the car is stone cold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi mate 169144-ok.gif

ABS does a self-test at approx 5mph after first starting, this causes a clunk sound. Can't help with the rest though, sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this 'self-test' on all Audis Chav ? If so then that explains that noise each morning! Thanks for info, I was getting worried too!

Tim - welcome to TSN. Sorry I can't help with any of your problems but hopefully someone else might have some answers!

beerchug.gif

JT

Hello mate. Welcome to Tyresmoke 169144-ok.gif

I have a 03 1.9 Tdi A4 saloon

1. The engine is noisy on idle and when first pulling away but once you're over 10 mph say, it is a lot quieter. On normal driving and especially cruising, a lot of people comment on how quiet it is for a diesel.

2. My clutch seems to function the same regardless of engine speed. The only comment I would have on my clutch is it has a low biting point but it is the same regardless of revs.

3. Ditto what Chav said. Also I reverse off my drive in the morning and put a full lock on reverse up hill. As I do the "turn" you always hear the ABS chatter and also I sometimes get a clonk noise. Only happens first thing when backing off the drive crazy.gif

I went to the dealer and they found nothing wrong. I asked the question on here a while back and it seemed to be a common trait.

4. I have an A to Z not Sat Nav so I can't help you on this one 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

1. The engine seems very 'boomy' on the A4, the engine noise in the cabin is a lot louder than the A3. I have a friend with a Golf TDI 130, same engine as the A4, that has commented on how loud mine is compared to his. Is this something to be concerned about? Is it normal?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi - mine is very quiet (exact same year / model, no mods). I have not been in a Golf TDi, so cant comment too much, but mine is very quiet indeed. Some estates can be boomy if the exhaust is blowing slightly - might be worth a quick look??

[ QUOTE ]

2. When the car is low revs, < 1500RPM, the clutch pedal is super smooth, and goes down and up sweetly, however, >1500RPM, there seems to be some resistance as the pedal is pushed down >20% of it's travel. It feels just like there is some hestitation on the spring. My old vauxhalls used to do this all the time, but it is weird that it only happens over a certain rev range. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't explain this one! I havent noticed it on mine ever.... or any other car for that fact! Maybe you have a sensitive foot!! grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

3. When the car is driven first thing in the morning, just as you pull away, there seems to be a clunking/knock noise from the front drivers side of the car. I wondered if there is some calibration of something happening under the bonnet as it never happens again until the car is stone cold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thay all do! Dont worry..... i thought the same when i got mine! 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

4. I have an RNS-D satnav unit, when tweaking the front / rear fader for the stereo purely to the rear, the volume is very low compared to tweaking fully to the front. In fact, you just cannot hear anything from the rears when the settings are equal. Doesn't sound quite right to me, Are there any tests I can do to check if the rear Amp is working?

[/ QUOTE ]

I havent got Sat Nav, but my amplified rears are the same - they seem quieter! When you crank it right up though, they really kick in, so i dont know if they have some sort of sliding scale volume control. Saloon owners will tell you theirs sounds REALLY naff compared to an Avant, so think yourself lucky! Have you cranked it up?? - it saounds pretty good for an OEM stereo... 169144-ok.gif

HTH!!??

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My experience is exactly the opposite. I'm currently driving the A4 1.9TDI, and a few weeks ago I went to test drive a brand new A3 2.0TDI. (I'm changing jobs soon so I have to pick a new company car) One of the things that struck me, was how noisy the engine of the A3 appeared coming from my A4.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, mine does that too smile.gif