Where in the north east is this?

dazdot

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

You should come to where I am, there is alot of money up here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Don't say that, some Southerners might take you up on it.

They all think we live in terraced houses in mining communities without running water and all housing costs less than £50k.

I for one am quite happy for people to believe that coffee.gif

[ QUOTE ]

£3 million pounds to live in bloody Geordieland (WITH MrMe)???

FFS the world's gone MAD!!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the problem. People still think the Northeast is stuck in yesterday. The reality it that about 5 years ago when other property prices were rising quickly....Tynesides absolutely rocketed.

Darras Hall and Wynyard aren't just exceptions either. They are at the high end of the market, but I can assure you that when I've been on my travels elsewhere in the country I have paid particular attention to property. In Northampton, Buckingham, Aylesbury, Luton, Bedford, blah blah - I'd get more for my money than I do up here. Quite considerably more in some cases.

It's easily forgotten that Newcastle is a major city, and one that has gone through radical change in the last 10 years. The Sage, the Baltic Gallery, the Millennium Bridge, the Quayside as a whole...all things that have completely transformed the area.

I've just done a little search for more 'normal' properties to give you an idea of just what you get for your money across the area. These aren't chosen for their high prices - they're just picked at random.

Marine Avenue, Whitley Bay, 4 bed detached, post war - £895,00

WB1.jpg

Quayside Flat, Gateshead, 2 beds, £700,000

WB2.jpg

Osborne Road, Newcastle, 5 bed Semi, £695,000

WB3.jpg

Terrace, 4 beds, Tynemouth, £595,000

WB4.jpg

Terrace, 4 beds, Cullercoats £495,000

WB5.jpg

Terrace, 5 beds, Jesmond, £460,000

WB6.jpg

Semi, North Shields, 3 beds, £395,000

WB7.jpg

The myth is just that. Property prices up here are well above average in comparison to the rest of the UK. Especially in parts of Durham, North Tyneside and Northumberland. Whitley Bay, Tynemouth and a number of other area's are absolutely ridiculous in price. My house isn't anything special, just a box standard 4 bed detached, but if I were to sell it and move to the likes of Buckingham, Bedford etc, I could live in a property that would make my current one look silly in size. My sister lives in Staffs and bought a house there for just less than ours - yet it is about twice the size, with twice the land, and in just as nice, if not nicer, an area. The prices up here are ridiculous and it's something that regularly pisses me off.

On my way to work I pass a very rough area. The houses are tiny terraces and it's just not pleasant at all. Yet the terraces there having been selling for £189,000+ recently. That's 2 bed terraces, in Wearside (not Tyneside), in a fecking horrible area that is crime ridden...

Never ceases to amaze me how people still live with the idea of the North being a cheap place to live or buy property - it's anything but. London is an exception to the rest of the UK and no-one would deny that, but from what I have seen you'll get a lot more for your money in most other places in the UK than you would in the Northeast.

It's just an unfortunate fact that most people outside of the area know little about it and live in the past.

MrMe - I think you've chosen some of the more expensive properties there......that's not the type of place most people buy, nor is that the sort of money you'd expect to pay for an average home.

In the UK the average property price is circa £165,000.

If you think Newcastle is expensive, try buying something in Edinburgh..... shocked.gif

[ QUOTE ]

MrMe - I think you've chosen some of the more expensive properties there......that's not the type of place most people buy, nor is that the sort of money you'd expect to pay for an average home.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. You'll get very very little for £165,000 here, if anything at all.

The average in North Tyneside in Q1 2004 (so this is almost 2 years ago), incidentally, was £193,000.

How can you say that's not the type of place people buy. There are semi's shown - average ones. There are terraces shown. There is a detached house and a flat shown - none of them particularly palatial or out of the ordinary - they are very much average houses.

I did say I didn't pick and choose them, and that is genuinely the case.

Look at the bottom one. That is a 3 bed semi in North Shields! You don't generally associate North Shields with the rich and famous do you? No, but look at it. A box standard 3 bed semi....£395,000. I didn't just create it!

By the way, Edinburgh is just about on par with North Tyneside...with an average house price of £179,000 as of May 2005.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

How can you say that's not the type of place people buy.

[/ QUOTE ]

A 3 bed Semi? I'd say it is exactly that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, maybe I didn't make it clear enough in my first post - I'm talking about the value, not the type of property.

[/ QUOTE ]

But this is missing my point. That is the price you'll HAVE to pay. Lessening the value will not get you an 'average' house - that's my point. The prices are sky high, and frankly ludicrous.

It's okay saying people won't pay that - they are. That's why the prices are so high!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

How can you say that's not the type of place people buy.

[/ QUOTE ]

A 3 bed Semi? I'd say it is exactly that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, maybe I didn't make it clear enough in my first post - I'm talking about the value, not the type of property.

[/ QUOTE ]

But this is missing my point. That is the price you'll HAVE to pay. Lessening the value will not get you an 'average' house - that's my point. The prices are sky high, and frankly ludicrous.

It's okay saying people won't pay that - they are. That's why the prices are so high!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, people do pay that in certain areas - I'm trying to get the point across that most people can't afford to pay that sort of money. From what I've seen of the NE, in and around Darlington and Stockton on Tees, the majority of properties are much cheaper than what you've shown in your post.

As with any part of the UK though, certain areas of certain towns are significantly more expensive for various reasons. You're expensive taste MrMe has maybe led you to quote areas you like or are familar with! grin.gif

Actually chaps this is all very contraversial and subjective...there are certain properties in certain areas throughtout the UK that do not and can not command the unrealistic prices previously mentioned...take this little beauty!!! Please!

crazy.gif

639852-case1.gif

Description: 3 bedroomed modern town house (repossession).

Purchase Price: £5250.

So please leave us alone.... grin.gif169144-ok.gif

post-8755-137914337694_thumb.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Actually chaps this is all very contraversial and subjective...there are certain properties in certain areas throughtout the UK that do not and can not command the unrealistic prices previously mentioned...take this little beauty!!! Please!

crazy.gif

639852-case1.gif

Description: 3 bedroomed modern town house (repossession).

Purchase Price: £5250.

So please leave us alone.... grin.gif169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah yes....let's be clear of a distinction here that Djbs points out very appropriately.

We're talking of Durham, Northumberland and North Tynside, including Wearside in many areas......but VERY definately NOT Cleveland (Middlesbrough)!!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]

From what I've seen of the NE, in and around Darlington and Stockton on Tees, the majority of properties are much cheaper than what you've shown in your post.

[/ QUOTE ]

BINGO! You're right - perhaps I have generalised about the Northeast too much. I am certainly talking about the counties in my previous post and vert definately NOT the towns you mention above!!!!

What I don't get is that if you can afford a Conti GT & a Flying spur, then why would you live on an estate? confused.gif

A nice private road maybe, but an estate?

Oh and why would you have a Conti GT and a Flying Spur? Surley a Flying Spur for the long drives and a 911/fast cabbie for the weekends?

[ QUOTE ]

What I don't get is that if you can afford a Conti GT & a Flying spur, then why would you live on an estate?

A nice private road maybe, but an estate?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, but that is a deceptive name and Wynyard Estate shouldn't be confused with any normal estate.

It's name isn't derived from a Housing Estate....it's because it is part of Wynyard Hall Estate....and it is a fully gated and 24 hour patrolled community.

It is very exclusive and the price of that house would probably make your jaw hit the floor (I'm guessing).

Other residents include Jamie Bell (The actor from Billy Elliot), most of the Middlesbrough football squad and a good few very wealthy businessman. There are a good few normal residents too - but not within the 'Estate' section.

It has it's own residents organisation, it's own business community and it's own 'very different' row of shops.

The average house in the gated area costs around £800,000 - £1,200,000, but they often go beyond £2,000,000 and I've seen a few go above £4,000,000.