changing the gear gaiter

matg

Its not too hard.

I posted this a few weeks ago...

-------------------------------------

I done the gear gaitor. Here goes...

Caution: Be careful with the glue. I got mine off ebay too and the glue was incorrectly mixed and caused an exothermic reaction (very smelly poisonous gas!).

1. Push the gaitor forward and bend it upwards in the middle. There are two clips at the back and two at the front. The two at the back unclip first.

2. Lift it over the gear knob. You need to use a flat blade screw driver and twist it between the metal clip that clamps the knob.

3. Once the clamp has been released the gaitor and knob will come off the rod.

4. Go back into your warm house with the gaitor.

5. Carefully prise off all the bitchy staples that attach the gator to the plastic frame.

6. The gaitor is clamped at the top by a plastic ring. You should be able to just pull out the gaitor.

7. Either pull out all the staples and glue the new gaitor in place, using the existing gaitor as a template.

Or attach it over the staples. This can be tricky as a leather gaitor is pretty tough to make holes.

I used a few staples and glued it in place. I feel the glue is an easier approach.

8. Then, push in the gaitor into the clamp using a small flat bladed screwdriver. Try and get it in as far as you can. The best way to do this is by turning the gaitor inside out.

9. Have a look and see how it forms up.

10. Go back out to the car.

11. Place the knob over the rod and using long nose pliers re-clamp the metal clamp thing. Make sure you get this bit correct. If you dont it makes a buzzing noise.

12. Clamp the frame back in and see how it looks. You might need to make a few adjustments or two to get it right.

Or simply buy the lot from the dealer for about £15. Remove it and put the new one on. Easy.

I did it a year or so since, I wouldn't bother going to all that effort when the new ones aren't that dear. By the time you've bought glue and leather you might as well.

[ QUOTE ]

Or simply buy the lot from the dealer for about £15. Remove it and put the new one on. Easy.

I did it a year or so since, I wouldn't bother going to all that effort when the new ones aren't that dear. By the time you've bought glue and leather you might as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, why do it the hard way when you can buy the lot from the dealer tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

£15 for leather gaitor, plastic bracket thingy, and gear knob?

That seems awful cheap. VW wanted to charge me £5.88 for three quick release screws.

I would remove the plastic braket before removing the gear knob. Then you have access to the metal clamp that holds on the knob to the rod. Not sure if the gear knob is meant to be removed the way they describe. Probalby why they mention that the cramped ring is impossible to remove without destroying. All you have to do is open the clamp bit a little.

I didnt remove the plastic rings that hold the top of the gaitor. I just pulled out the old gaitor and squeezed in the new one.