BMW "shark fin"

Ari

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah its for the GPS, but i think you have the option of a <font color="red"> bumper mounted ariel (in the bumper ) </font> , in the case of the cabs then obviously they have to have the bumper one!!

[/ QUOTE ]

What a great place to put a bumper mounted ariel.......

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Its a Bluetooth Aerial. If you choose Bluetooth prep on a new car you get the aerial and the phone holder in between the front seats. Its costs around £400 and you still need a bluetooth phone. Bargain eh !!!!!

I bought fin off Ebay for £7 , its an exact Beemer copy !

[ QUOTE ]

What! wait till I see you next, £30k BMW's with MAX POWER stick on fins!! What's the world coming to!! lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Wondered how long it would take you to find me Mr Brown. I seem to remember a few bits of plastic on the Lexus , around the headlights.

I should have gone for the Bluetooth after I saw the aerial as it looks the business. I've ordered the replica but don't know if I'll fit it yet.

beerchug.gif

Just got one of those "shark finned" 325's as a loaner - nothing but a radio and phone inside, so must be at least an antenna.

Although, my 328i has all sorts of lights and sensors inside that do absolutely nothing until I pony up for the accessories like alarm system, etc. So that shark fin might be for the "underwater James Bond stealth mode" option. beerchug.gif

Shark fin is defo for BlueTooth ONLY -

1st E46 M3 - no options except FCA and 6 CD - No Fin

2nd E46 M3 - HK, FCA, 6CD, Heated seats - No Fin

3rd E46 M3 - SatNav + TV, HK, FCA, 6CD, Heated seats, 19" - No Fin

4th E46 M3 - Bluetooth, SatNav + TV, HK, FCA, Heated seats, 19" - FIN

Guaranteee that the fin only comes with bluetooth factory fitted option as standard from BMW. Obviously it can be aftermarket fitted without BlueTooth.

• 10 months later...

Can anyone tell me if the Bluetooth phone prep and fin can be fitted at the dealer? I have an M3 with Harmon Kardon system being collected on Friday and although I could do with a phone kit, my experience of having an after market kit fitted into a car with an upgrade stereo system is not good. I am guessing that at least BMW's kit will be designed to handle such things as the HK kit.

[ QUOTE ]

Why would you need a fin for bluetooth?

Surely having it on the outside is just going to allow for other people to pick it up and make the signal strength weaker inside the car worse since it has to broadcast through the roof?

[/ QUOTE ]

Spot on. Bluetooth is just a means of your handset talking to devices such as your in car hands free kit wirelessly.

There are a number of cars now with these fins on, BMW's, Saab 93's, the new GTI etc. On some it is an antenna for the hands free kit to give better signal strength (nothing to do with bluetooth) and on others like the new GTI for example it is for the GPS/sat nav.

Not sure that it is necessary to have one of these, personally I think it is a new fashion item similar to 10 years ago when everyone had normal phone antennas on their cars but these days there are more discreet options such as tax disc holders etc and phones are much better.

I think it draws attention to your car and is something that can be ripped off by little fekr.gifs with nothing better to do.

Yeah, my mum had the aerial ripped off her Z3 when it was parked at her work (a small primary school) by some tosser in the village who was skiving off from the local secondary school.

My cars got a seperate mobile phone aerial from an old Nokia hands free kit but I just fold it down flat to the rear window that its stuck to as I don't have a Nokia phone and the controlling box for the kit has been removed.