New engine in GTI?

chriswastle

I don't know officially but persoanlly I would doubt it.

I don't see why VW would need to do this. From a performance angle it makes the GTI too similar to the R32 and it also undermines the Ed30.

With the all new Golf due in approx 16 months time, I reckon VW will wait until then. Here's a clip posted in another thread:

Leaked VW Memo Reveals Launch Dates for 3 New Models

Carscoop has obtaining an internal VW memo for European dealerships containing the intended launch dates of three new VW models: Scirocco, Golf Mk6 and next gen Polo.

The first one to be launched in the fourth quarter of 2008 is the all-new Golf based Scirocco Coupe.

Next on the list is the ever-crucial all-new 6th generation Golf model due in the first quarter of 2009. Originally to be launched at the 2008 Geneva Motor Show in March, former Audi CEO and current VW Chairman, Martin Winterkorn, postponed the Golf debut six months for a Paris debut since he wanted costs cut as well as design revisions to be made.

Lastly, the next-generation Polo which will be based on the recently launched Skoda Fabia will debut in the second half of 2009.

Source Carscoop.

There maybe a facelift in Jan but thats mainly the normal golf models been brought into line with the Jetta. They may play around with the Golf engine range at that time like a turbo 1.4 with 120PS and a 1.4 150PS TSI etc.

I don't expect the GTI engine to change but don't hold me to that. wink.gif

I reckon they will up the engine soon. In terms of marketing they have a car now with "just" 200 bhp but it looks so much better to have a car with 227bhp when people are comparing with the competition. And as for worrying about upsetting ED30 owners do you really think VW care that much, I don't!

[ QUOTE ]

I reckon they will up the engine soon. In terms of marketing they have a car now with "just" 200 bhp but it looks so much better to have a car with 227bhp when people are comparing with the competition. And as for worrying about upsetting ED30 owners do you really think VW care that much, I don't!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree - did it with the Mk4, why not do the same with the Mk5 jump.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I don't think they will either, otherwise what are they going to offer in the new GTI? They would have to bump to 250+bhp which is unlikely.

[/ QUOTE ]

VW carried the 1800 8v in the mk1 over to the mk2. They also put the 2.08v from the crappy mk3 into the mk4 2.0GTI and Beetle.

They could keep the engine just change it's power delivery. They could even put a version of that 5pot which VAG have made for the faster TT....

[ QUOTE ]

VW carried the 1800 8v in the mk1 over to the mk2. They also put the 2.08v from the crappy mk3 into the mk4 2.0GTI and Beetle.

[/ QUOTE ]

wink.gif

Mk1 golf has a 1780cc, mk2 1781cc also theres slight differences to the head and other things including the change of injection system from been mounted on the passenger side to the drivers side, theres actually quite a few changes including power delivery.

Mk3 had the 'big block' version of the 1.8 mk2 and was a development of the mk2 unit/usa 2.0 mk2 unit.

The mk4 iirc had a crossflow head design and the VWusa unit from the beetle rather than the older mk3 8V unit.