[Audi A3/S3] Mk2 S3 Handling

dmg11eng

Hi all.

I've had my S3 for a couple of months now. Just getting used to the handling. I'm experiencing quite a lot of understeer, especially when wet, before ESP cuts in. My car has Bridgestone Potenza tyres, which may be a contributory factor.

Is anybody else experiencing such characteristics??

Also has anybody experienced lift-off oversteer, if having to come off the power quickly through a corner??

Mine has understeer too, but I've since driven one on different tyres and it made a hell of a difference. As soon as my tyres are due for replacment, I'll be swapping over.

My ESP seems to take a lot before it will kick in, but the one I drove seemed even better with the right tyres.

Never had a problem with lift-off so far.

[ QUOTE ]

Mine has understeer too, but I've since driven one on different tyres and it made a hell of a difference. As soon as my tyres are due for replacment, I'll be swapping over.

My ESP seems to take a lot before it will kick in, but the one I drove seemed even better with the right tyres.

[/ QUOTE ]

What tyres are on yours and what were on the other one mae.

I find the conti's very good for the S3 and get nice roundabout overstear if provoked shocked.gifwink.gif

AZ

Yes, the new S3 understeers a lot in certain situations - but I find you've got to provoke it in the first place.

Mainly at wet roundabouts and powering through sharp wet corners it's most noticeable.

Yes, you can definately get power oversteer. Mine's always been provoked and coming out of a sharp bend. ECLIPSe.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Yes, the new S3 understeers a lot in certain situations - but I find you've got to provoke it in the first place.

Mainly at wet roundabouts and powering through sharp wet corners it's most noticeable.

Yes, you can definately get power oversteer. Mine's always been provoked and coming out of a sharp bend. ECLIPSe.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed if you drive the car right it will respond very well and provide a nice mild overstear on exiting the roundabout 169144-ok.gif

You need to get used to the power and drive to get the best from it. Assuming it has 4WD and going in to wet roundabouts at high speed will enduce overstear as you typically lift off in the wet.

I am not suggesting dangerous driving but if you practice in the wet on roundabouts you will get the power and line balance perfect and it is great. Love the overstear, god I might but a BMW at this rate tongue.gif

Rob check you PM's mate 169144-ok.gif

AZ

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I find the conti's very good for the S3 and get nice roundabout overstear if provoked shocked.gifwink.gif

AZ

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh that's interesting, mine are Conti's, but driving the S3 with F1's on was a different game! It was more settled going through tight bends at speed than mine was, although you really had to be pushing it.

If you take the attack angle wrong it will understeer - took me a little bit to learn this car from my A4, but I find it very balanced and lovely to drive - it's simply been a case of changing my balance/attack into bends. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

AZ

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh that's interesting, mine are Conti's, but driving the S3 with F1's on was a different game! It was more settled going through tight bends at speed than mine was, although you really had to be pushing it.

If you take the attack angle wrong it will understeer - took me a little bit to learn this car from my A4, but I find it very balanced and lovely to drive - it's simply been a case of changing my balance/attack into bends. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting, well mine has covered about 11,500 miles now in 13 months. I will need new tyres at the end of Feb. I have read too many worrying stories about the Godyear F1 replacements so I cam going to stick to the Conti's and go for the new SC3 which seems to be getting good reviews. 169144-ok.gif

Indeed with the Haldex 4wd system you need to get the angle of attack and throttle balance just right then you can enjoy the car much more, oh and scare other roundabout users tongue.gif

AZ

When my Sportback needed new boots, I opted for the SC3's from the previous SC2's it had from delivery.

The 3's seemed to be noticably more grippy in the wet conditions than the 2's they replaced.

Although I was comparing new tyres with what I remembered the old ones to be like when they were new - and memory does play tricks on us all!