ABS Pump shot

mofri

hey guys,

Whilst I've been at work all morning, having happily driven there in my '95 4.2 QS, a gremlin has got under the bonnet and freaked out my ABS Pump. frown.gif

I need a replacement pump. I've contacted IT_S8 and am awaiting a reply. I reckon it's gonna be an expensive part. Been quoted 120 quid for the work, not including the part, from the local VAG man.

Any ideas where I get a pump at a reasonable price?

Thanks

The pump continues to pump or at least buzz even when the key is out of the ignition. The only way to stop it is to remove the fuse or disconect the battery.

Both ABS warning lights are on, the orange light and the main dot matrix display.

Both the AA guy and the Local VAG guy say it's the pump. Could be the Control unit I suppose. How can I find out?

Hi, to be fair its normal for people to say the "ABS pump" is pooped, but this a generic term really, as i stated its very RARE the pump itself fails, is the usually wiggly amp bit that controls it that fooks up.

You cannot buy just the ECU part of the pump / module, Audi / Seat / VW etc will only sell the "whole" thing.

Its common for the ECU part of the ABS module to fail in many different ways, Quite often it fails in a way that even Vagcom cannot communicate with it at all. But as Ska suggested, it needs to be attempted to be read just incase its a sensor or something else putting the light on.

My money is on the ECU failiure itself. These guys will test and rebuild your own unit for £100. If no fault is found they charge a small fee only for testing it.

I have used these guys before for an A4 and A6 module. The ECU can be split from the pump with about 6 screws removed, you send to them, they fix and send it back, usually all done in 3 days.

The best bit is a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty!!!, you wouldnt even get that on a new one from Audi, which is consequently about £1000.

169144-ok.gif

http://ecu-testing.com/index.html

I get the following code from VAGCOM ABS system check before I get an error message saying that it can't contact the module.

VAG-COM Version: Release 409.1-US

Control Module Part Number: 4D0 907 379 L

Component and/or Version: ABS/EDS BOSCH 5 7680

Software Coding: 0265109043

Work Shop Code: BB 37680

1 Fault Found:

00302 - ABS Solenoid Valve Relay (J106)

35-00 - -

I think this is an incomplete system check.

Question is, do I change just the ABS ECU or the Entire pump?

ECU = 60 quid

Pump = 110 quid

thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

hi again,

I've replaced the ECU but I've still got the problem. The pump is humming constantly, even with the ignition turned off.

The new ECU is responding to VAG-COM much better but it's still giving the following fault code, even though I've cleared all the codes, this one comes back:

VAG-COM Version: Release 409.1-US

Control Module Part Number: 4D0 907 379 L

Component and/or Version: ABS/EDS BOSCH 5 7680

Software Coding: 0265109043

Work Shop Code: BB 37680

1 Fault Found:

00302 - ABS Solenoid Valve Relay (J106)

35-00 - -

Any ideas?? I'm stuck.

Here is the output from the Bentley manuals as to possible causes:

Open circuit or resistance too high between Ground (GND) of ABS return flow pump relay -J105- (terminal 85) and ABS Control Module (w/EDL) -J104- (terminal 7).

OR

Open circuit or resistance too high between voltage supply of ABS return flow pump relay -J105- (terminal 86) and ABS Control Module (w/EDL) -J104- (terminal 2

OR

Short circuit to B+ or Ground (GND) in one of the control lines.

OR

Voltage supply too low for ABS return flow pump relay -J105- (terminal 30).

OR

ABS return flow pump relay -J105- or ABS Hydraulic Unit -N55- malfunctioning.

In summary, it advises to check all the wiring, connections etc. It goes in to quite some detail, but the information spans dozens of pages and isn't portable to I cant repost here.

I do find it hard to beleive the wiring would be faulty, unless you had got water in the system etc and contact corrosion was at work. Perhaps there is a fault with the pump itself.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...