325CI sports Vs 330CI sports.

nickers

Hi folks, the misses looking to buy a car (which we will both use)!

I love sports cars, and find it really hard to pin myself down to anything at all, I love porkers so boxster is on the list, amoung others, I want performance and handling, she wants looks, style, and a softtop! But I also really like the 3 series 325 / 330 CI sports convertible.

There is however a problem with insurance as we are both in our mid 20’s and don’t have many no-claims-bonus between us.

So anyway what I wanted to ask is does anyone have experience of

these two cars, and is it really worth spending all that extra money

on insurance and the cost of the car for the 330Ci, or compromise

with the 325 ;-) Haven’t been able to test drive one yet because the guys at my local dealer are a bunch of monkies, and they don’t have either for us to test, and huffed and sighed when I suggested that they should try and get one for us! Think most of their customers just buy them blindly cause they are more interested in how it looks, and what is says about them, than how it drives!

Anywho, have heard the 325ci go past a few times, and it sounds really meaty, sure its still a great car. But have read conflicting articles they all say that both engines are super smooth, but one is saying that the 325 lacks luster compared to the 330ci, and you have to really work the engine to get the performance, where as the 330 and basically saying trade up!

However another major auto mag, says: the exact opersite, that whilst the 330ci is more powerful, the 325 is smooth, and just as capable for the money, it was better value to stay with the 325.

There is quite a big gap between the insurance, as well as extra for the car, is it worth the extra dosh?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

A0027273a.jpg

I have a 330ci, have also driven a 325ci. If you were to try both you would be in no doubt as to which one you would want. 325ci is a nice car in isolation, sounds nice and is not short on power. Where the 330ci gains points is that it has a lot more torque, this is what makes the car "driveable". 325ci will need to be revved hard to get the best out of it while in the 330ci, you just drive round on a wave of torque. If you are spending that much on a car you don't want to buy something that when you see a 330ci go buy you will wish you had got one. Insurance will be slightly higher for the 330 but fuel consumption will be the same as you are not revving it all the time. And the engine note is meatier on the 330ci. As I said before, if you drive both back to back, it will be the 330ci everytime. I don't have the Sport model but I do have the sport suspension so the handling is the same. Pictures of it in the gallery. Magazines sometimes will say that the 325ci is the best compromise between perfomance and value as it is cheaper, but the 330ci is a much better drive and is a superior car.

PS

Nice pic's, just love those wheels. Dunno if I would go for red leather, but it does look good! smile.gif

How long did you have to wait??

Seriously thinking of getting a nearly new car from the dealer (what ever we choose).

Specially if we get a convertable, you gonna want it for the summer (all one month of it in UK wink.gif) Beemers and Porkers seem to have 3 years dealer warranty on nearly new cars, not sure what happens if its still with in the manufacturers warranty whether that crosses over to the new owner. But really none of the cars we are looking at are known for reliablity problems so not too worried, by the time its starts breaking down, we'll probably of got rid of it!

|For example:

330ci sport convertable

3000 miles on the clock, basically just run in for you...

I used to think like that, but then when friends have spent loads of cash in the garage with second hand cars that have been ragged, it kind of put me off.

But for something like a porker or Beemer that are pretty reliable, I would be happy to get a nearly new one!