4-5 days Dubai at start May?

Waylander

For the whole family, i would stay anywhere along Jumeirah Beach. It is on the beach (duh!!) and is also next to the AWESOME Wild Wadi Water Park 169144-ok.gif You HAVE to go there.....

Downsides are the building sites, but they dont bother you too much.

I am not a fan of Dubai as there is absolutely nothing to do / see apart from shopping malls and big hotels, but that is just my personal opinion - the good thing about staying on the beach is that the hotels provide all sots of free shuttle services into town / nearby malls. Although a 20 min. drive from the center, it doesnt matter as there really is no 'center' itself.

Must - do's are the Gold Souk and the Spice Souk in Dubai old town (about 2 sq/ meters in size ROLLEY~14.GIF), also Dubai Yacht Club - just kick back with an ice tea and take in the sounds of the Shisha bubbling away!!

PS - you get some good hotel deals on http://www.asiatravel.com/ I have used them for years throughout Thailand, India, Vietnam and UAE. 169144-ok.gif

HTH!

The One and Only looks nice. And not mega mega money (by Dubai standards) It's on Jumeirah Beach too!

As with the previous post tho, i found Dubai much like LA, a big commercial mess with no centre, soul or scenery.

But it is good for winter sun, shops and beach (albiet with a few dozen building sites)

If you stay in the Jumeirah Beach hotel (the one that looks like a sail) you get a view of the Burj Al Arab, free access to the Burj at certain times and access to Madinat Jumeirah next door which is awesome. As a guest at Jumeirah Beach you are entitled to use the water taxi's around the romantic water ways of Madinat Jumeirah. You also get ferried around the entire complex (J Beach, J Madinat and the Burj are all the same company) in golf buggies which is rather smart and good fun.

In my opinion, Jumeirah Beach is the only way to have a great time in Dubai. Oh, and you also get free entry into the Wild Wadi water park!

[ QUOTE ]

If you stay in the Jumeirah Beach hotel (the one that looks like a sail) you get a view of the Burj Al Arab, free access to the Burj at certain times and access to Madinat Jumeirah next door which is awesome. As a guest at Jumeirah Beach you are entitled to use the water taxi's around the romantic water ways of Madinat Jumeirah. You also get ferried around the entire complex (J Beach, J Madinat and the Burj are all the same company) in golf buggies which is rather smart and good fun.

In my opinion, Jumeirah Beach is the only way to have a great time in Dubai. Oh, and you also get free entry into the Wild Wadi water park!

[/ QUOTE ]

Given your requirements, it HAS to be the Jumeirah Beach, as identified above.

Good beach location, great views (and access) to the Burj, free access to Wild Wadi which is great for kids (and adults! ECLIPSe.gif). Huge choice of restaurants in Jumeriah Beach itself, and nearby Madinat Jumeirah, plus free shuttle in to town.

Enjoy!

beerchug.gif

Sidicks

• 1 month later...

[ QUOTE ]

Given your requirements, it HAS to be the Jumeirah Beach, as identified above.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on what you want to spend but not sure the JB is good value or as cheap as it used to be 2+ years ago.

The main reason I wouldn't book however is how they treated friends of ours at xmas. They had booked a suite (circa £5k i seem to recall) and paid a deposit only to be told after this that prices were going up. The reason given (the agent who booked for them was a family friend so I know this to be true) was that the demand from the lucrative Russian market was high allowing the hotel to up prices at the last minute. They were offered the option of paying another grand or so or going elsewhere. The chose the latter and joined us at Le Royal Meridian which they loved and have booked to go to again. They know Dubai hotels well staying their 2 -3 times a year and have previously stayed at JB, the Burj etc.

Waylander - if you need more hotel info. for Dubai or anywhere else I'd recommend tripadvisor.co, a great source for hotels reviews.

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed.

Thanks all and any more tips appreciated.

Due to some troubles I could not attend to this issue for ages and now have 2 weeks to sort!

Taking mum/sisters/wife/kids so need somewhere family-friendly. JB might be a little steep pricewise but will check it out.

How about Derai or Bur district - isn't that where all the shops are? [that is what the girls mainly want to do!]

JB was blooming expensive so most likely going to stay at the Golden Sands in Bur Dubai.

Flights booked.

Now I need to try to make an itinerary for the 4 full days I have please.

The Wild Water Wadi - is that "mixed" or does it have women only and men only time?

obviously the latter will prove troublesome unless I plan around this.

The Desert Safari - what does it entail: need to see if it is something I book for everyone or just me.

The wild wadi caters for anyone at the same time, its just a water park. If you stay at the JB you get 1 hour at the wild wadi before it opens to the rest of the public which I think is 11am. When you get there all you do is wear a rubber bracelet that you can put credit on to use in the food areas etc....very handy.

You have to try the Jumerieh Sciera or what ever its called, its the tallest freefalling water slide outside North America but tell the ladies to wear something modest if they go down that!

The dessert safari, you mean the 4x4's across the dessert with dinner? If so I found it good fun but some do get a bit sick over the dunes. Oh and the drivers are totally crap on the road on the way to the dessert (which takes at least 30-45 mins), ours was weaving all over the place and thought we'd get a different driver once at the dessert...but no.

The dessert safari, you mean the 4x4's across the dessert with dinner? If so I found it good fun but some do get a bit sick over the dunes. Oh and the drivers are totally crap on the road on the way to the dessert (which takes at least 30-45 mins), ours was weaving all over the place and thought we'd get a different driver once at the dessert...but no.

yep that's what I meant. I think I will be going to that myself! will try and get an evening one if poss.

Have booked a 3 bed apartment at Golden Sands Hotel - bargain at £500 I reckon!

Wild Wadi is a defo as well as the Medinat Souk nearby.

Desert Safari, Dubai Museum

The Mall of Emirates - worth the visit or not?

might try to get a boat to take us around the palm and near the globe