Just cleaned my EGR valve and inlet manifold

AvantSE

Spend a few hours last night and this morning removing, cleaning and reinstalling the EGR valve and inlet manifold on my A4 TDI, having seen some of the pictures of soot build-up on the web.

After 150,000 miles there was a fail amount of crap built up in the EGR though not as bad as some I have seen. Now this is clean and shiny. What is alarming though is the amount of carbon and black oily sludge that was stuck inside the inlet manifold (and no doubt the inlet ports on the head, which I left well alone for fear of getting clumps of carbon into the cylinders).

All this because it recirculates some exhaust gas back through the engine. The inlet would be pretty much spotless otherwise.

Still, it's done now and very unlikely it will need doing again unless I keep the car to 300K !

• 3 months later...

A few months ago i have my A4 2.5 TDI chipped from 180bhp to 215bhp, on a long motorway drive the emmisions light was on for about 10 mins. from diagnostic i found there was a problem with the Egr valve possibily soot build up! Also i have noticed it has been smoking more from the exhaust when pulling away from traffic lights could this have been caused from having it chipped?

Any suggestions? :ffs: