Quattro Drivetrain Reliability

beemerboy9

I sold my '99 D2 A8 3.7q after a dealer told me that it would cost £2,500 to fix the 5 leaks from the engine, gearbox and rear diff. An independent told me as I was about trade in that the leaks could be kept at bay for £500, although there was no telling how long the rear main oil seal would last.

My replacement 2004 D3 A8 4.0 TDi is in for its AVS and pre-warranty-expiry service and they have noticed an oil leak from the back of the engine (cam chains at the back).

Am I just unlucky or is this a common problem with quattro V8's?

It is also needs some new wiring as the fans are cutting in from stone cold and the n/s mirror does not return properly after selecting Drive from Reverse.

Happy Birthday Cruiser 169144-ok.gifbeerchug.gif

I agree with Cruiser as when the ask how old the car is they seem to think the car has no right to be in ship shape condition; you get that from all stealers and a few independents, but they soon change their mind when they see my car tongue.gif

Leaks from the engine may be the rocker/camshaft cover seals (pretty easy to do on Audipages.com). The sump may be a gasket or liquid seal (aparently the stealers can only tell by looking at it smashfreakB.gif). The out put seal is also on audi pages (I believe A8VIP did his latley on his 4 speed but he could give you an idea of effort an time). Diff seals; if were talking about the dise output flange seals then that just means removing the drive shafts and flange shafts and replacing the seal then topping up with gear oil, so all in all its a bit labour intensive but no way £2.5K sportifs2.gif

No leaks at all on my d2 3.7 v8 quattro in 2 years of ownership. Not a sign of oil around the engine or transmission box.

In fact sum total of work required was around £6 for replacement bulbs...

I am going to extend the warranty of the w12 for the remaining 2 years of the service and maintenance program though for sure, should be another couple of years of maintenance free motoring, except for the tyres...

No oil leaks from my D3 A8 4.0 TDi at 42k. The only leak I experienced with my previous D2 (Facelift) S8 was the usual output seal at the rear of the gearbox/transfer box. Have not heard that people are having problems with the D3 but they are relatively new and not that many people on this forum seem to have them as yet. Given the way the price of the early D3 4.2 petrol cars are dropping I guess we will see a lot more in the future. I think that my 4.0 TDi is superb and in no way a let down after the S8. Did a run down to Romford yesterday 200 miule round trip- motorway there gave 36 mpg and fairly gentle non-motorway back 34 mpg. My S8 would have given about 24mpg/22mpg under the same conditions.

36mpg out of what is basically a 2 ton car. Absolutely amazing to be honest.

I was in the states last week they had tv advertisements for the ford focus, really proud of the fact that it does 35mpg on a combined cycle, for a small hatchback like that is a REALLY amazing mpg.......scary over there they are completely out of touch with reality....