iTunes question - moving the music library...

bazza_g

grin.gif Quick question for the iTunes users here - Lady T's laptop has a C: and a D: partition, the C: was nearly full so I've started to move the itunes music folder from c: to d: - then I just need to point itunes to the d: drive?

crazy.gif the 'move' just binned itself half way through - so now I've got half the music library on one drive and half on the other - I fecking hate computers jump.gif

My music directory lives on a network storage drive and I simply point iTunes at it using the Add Directory (or add Folder, I can't remember) option from the File menu. Rebuilt my computer recently and after reinstalling iTunes just pointed it back at the network location. So you should be fine redirecting your iTunes to it's new directory once all the music has been moved. When I added the files back in on my iTunes it just had to analyse them as it added them in. Then when plugging the iPod back in it wiped the iPod's disk and copied eveything back on again!

BUT... I think that any files you have downloaded from iTunes that are locked, must be authorised by using your iTunes store login account once you have added them back in to the Library. You can only do this a maximum of 5 times as it comes under the "sharing" restrictions in iTunes (you can only share files 5 times).

Hope this helps!

My PC's hard disk has gone a bit haywire tonight so it looks as though I shall be performing my own iTunes reinstallation in the next day or two.