How do I spot if a panel has been resprayed?

bodger00

I am thinking of buying a car and something stood out to me when viewing the car. The wing liner at the rear was on the out side of the panel not tucked in. I know this seems small but the wing also had a slight paint defect it was only small but looked like the paint had sagged at one join. I am talking about the size of a key on your keyboard so not big.

The dealer said it was a manufacturing defect and its nothing to worry about but I am wondering how else I can tell. To be honest looking at it, the paint quality seems fine.

Thanks 169144-ok.gif

Hello Bodger,

Does the area reflect light as well? If its clear cut square it might well be that its either had a touch up or that its been wet sanded.

Wet sanding isnt a badthing if its done by a pro who knows what he is doing. But done by a bafoon who sands to deep and buffs poorly you might end up with comprised paintwork in that area.

I would feel it, is it rougher the the rest of the car? Does it reflect light the rest of the paint? If you put and LED light near that panel can you see alot of marring to suggest its been buffed more then other panels?

Maybe someone else will know a few other tricks!

Geoff

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure if its possible but if you can get the car parked at night under a ceasium (orange) streetlight it shows up paint variances on panels really well 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Low Pressure Sodium. 169144-ok.gif

And the colour is known as monochromatic yellow. 169144-ok.gif

look for any overspray and masking lines close to edges, it's amazing how many of these you see on nearly new cars where they've had a quick touch-up. Always check the panel gaps too, make sure they're even, this will give you an idea that something worse might have happened...