bose system

FBFsussex

Yes to both.

You could get a GROM system which replaces the CD Changer connection, or use PaulW's method on audipages.com.

PaulW (amongst others) has added a Sub to his new S8, so it's not too hard to do, though I think the Bose does make it slightly more complex.

Craig may be able to answer your questions in more depth especially about the interface. But adding an amp to power some subs should be relatively straight forward; many amps have a high level input i.e. use the existing speaker signal from the bose unit to supply the sub amp with the signal so all you'd have to do is tap the speaker wires going to the rear hat shelf woofers, then wire up the rest of your power and remote leads and your off...well almost 169144-ok.gif

The Bose is nothing more than a seperate Amp in the boot, with uprated wiring and uprated speakers, we've retrofitted it before, and unfitting it would be just as easy.

Theres nothing stopping you ripping it out and using the line ouput from any of the Audi headunits to power a different Amp.

The Bose amp sits in a considerable space on the left of the boot under the CD changer etc, its the opposite cubby hole to where your battery sits, so its probably a good place to put an amp, plus it has airflow through the bumper for cooling.

Happy modding.. 169144-ok.gif

They are Ian? I would have thought that the largest woofers on the shelf were the main bass drivers confused.gif Subwoofer need to be larger to be able to produce the longer wavelength frequencies so I would have thought the shelf speakers were meant for this and the front door speakers are for mid bass/mid and high frequencies?

Its easy enough to verify - turn the fader full front, then full back and you should be able to identify the end of the car that provides the bass response...

To get bass it isn't necessary to have large speakers (though that is the common way to achieve it). The other way is to use a tuned length of enclosure that will boost a particular set of frequencies. TDL did this to great effect with Hi Fi speakers in the RTL 2/3/4 series and PMC do it today with the FB range.

Bose use the same technique in their current systems too. The benefit of this approach is that you can get big bass from small speakers, which therefore can allow better attack and decay as there is less speaker mass to get moving. The drawback is that the design costs can be higher and they can be more difficult to make which further pushes the prices up.

Review of PMC FB1 speakers - note the comment at the bottom of the page...

[ QUOTE ]

They are Ian? I would have thought that the largest woofers on the shelf were the main bass drivers confused.gif Subwoofer need to be larger to be able to produce the longer wavelength frequencies so I would have thought the shelf speakers were meant for this and the front door speakers are for mid bass/mid and high frequencies?

[/ QUOTE ]

As lostkiwi says, its more the enclosure that makes the bass, not the size of the speaker. The parcel shelf speakers have no enclosure at all, and the front door pockets have a relitively large enclosure that runs down half the inside length of the door....

I do believe that diameter of the woofer also plays a big part especially in the confines of a car cabin. Because the bass wavelengths involved are relatively large (about 2.8 metres at 125Hz), the cone size needs to provide adequate reproduction. I suppose it’s to do with efficiency as you'll only get a certain level of output from a smaller driver and how low you want to go and at what sort of Sound Pressure Level. Most SQ set up enclosures tend to be sealed units for a flat line response, with ported enclosure tuning to a certain frequency taking into account of the cabin characteristics; so it varies from car to car and ear to ear I guess. But the norm used to be because of limitations of space at the front and due to the fact that low frequencies are omni-directional due to said wavelength size the woofers were mounted towards the rear of the car. But it must be said that the trend is to design a set up where more of the lower frequencies are produced in front of the Driver for better sound stage.

Half of what I've just said is what the pair of you are saying I think crazy.gif

There a couple versions of it now. My ones a bit older and simply plugs in the back of the stereo where the CD changer would. The docking cradle cable comes out of the wee cubby hole in the lower right of the dash.

The newer versions have the ability to switch between ipod and Cd changer control but Im not sure which model this is. Best to check on the website for functionality.