Opinions on this Mark Tempest (Welwyn) service

BT52

Car is booked in for reconnecting windscreen washer pipe and replacing a suspension bush.

They don't start working on it until the afternoon, then they call and say that they might have to break the suspension arm by heating it to get the bush off (this itself seems excessive to me).

My wife says just so long as the car is ready for 5pm so she can pick up our little 3 year old boy from pre-school.

They did not warn us until late in the afternoon that the car would not be ready at the end of the day after all. They would only provide a courtesy car is we brought it back for 9am the next day (impossible for us). They would not provide any other transport or offer to pay for a taxi.

Had they warned us that was a possibility then we would have told them not to proceed or made alternative arrangements.

Don't know if it just me, but I am not overly impressed with this level of service.

Heating suspension components to get them off is pretty standard practice, done it myself a few times.

I'd agree that they should have warned you that it wouldn't be ready in time (I assume you did let them know you had to have it back for then?). I've been in that position a few times with garages, especially with company cars where you're trying to pick it up before a meeting. Not a great deal you can do, and it may have been a good deal harder to get the bush cleared off than the expected.

Oh I will.

But I'm still not convinced that breaking the arm was the only way and I still blame them for leaving my wife and son stranded without warning when they were told we needed the car at the end of the day.

I think it is a total lack of common courtesy and if I were the manager I would accept responsibility for the position I had put my customer in and ensured some transport alternative was arranged.