RSE fitted (rear seat entertainment)

craigyb

Finished the RSE this weekend, I went with the Alpine system similar to the Audi fitted one. I used a Rapsody 750GB media player instead of the 10 disk DVD player. The system has two independent sets of Alpine wireless headphones.

Drivers Side

driver1Medium.jpg

Passenger Side

passenger1Medium.jpg

Rapsody startup Screen

rapsody1Medium.jpg

DVD startup 1

rapsody2Medium.jpg

DVD Startup 2

rapsody3Medium.jpg

Any thoughts of using something like an AppleTV as a media player? Only issue I see is that it would need a mains inverter to run it.

I have a couple now in the house and have been nothing but impressed with them. And with wireless sync capabilities you could sync it in car from your home PC.

Too much like hard work, with media players doing the job so well and so easily it seems pointless to complicate things with a PC that will be tricky to power and feed to a composite input. I used to do things like that, but I've moved on.

[ QUOTE ]

Any thoughts of using something like an AppleTV as a media player? Only issue I see is that it would need a mains inverter to run it.

I have a couple now in the house and have been nothing but impressed with them. And with wireless sync capabilities you could sync it in car from your home PC.

[/ QUOTE ]

The next project is to install a "chasecam" to continually video from a front mounted camera on a 20 minute loop. I have a little project on the go to mount a bullet camera pointing forward and capture the video with telemetry from a GPS receiver onto a solidstate recorder.

A mate of mine has one on his bike and it's neat, it will auto record to memory card and use as much CF ram that you can install into the module.

We have now found a GPS module that will overlay telemetry onto a composite video signal, so the camera will be passed through this and into the recorder. The video output from the recorder will feed into the AV2 of the TV tuner so I can watch what the camera is seeing.

[ QUOTE ]

Too much like hard work, with media players doing the job so well and so easily it seems pointless to complicate things with a PC that will be tricky to power and feed to a composite input. I used to do things like that, but I've moved on.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the point though, it's a media player... no pc components involved - software or hardware. Unless you include populating the player i.e. same as other media players that it has seamless integration with iTunes.

I will give you a call. I am up for one of your media boxes....

Did you use the alpine head units etc to control the screens same as the factory fit cars ? I bet you had a nightmare getting it all working...Do you have your digital tv running through the rear screens as well ?

If the apple tv thing had a radio remote that would be pretty useful as no need to run a sensor into the rear cabin but I bet it dosnt....Also apple stuff is all propiatary, you have to use their format so no divx xvid etc.....

I would want a proper open media player that can play a range of formats personally...

• 2 months later...

I've an Apple TV in mine and it is great. Apple TV's are just sooooo simple to use and with the seamless connection to itunes, it wirelessly syncs any changes in my library overnight.

I have a playlist for the car and put anything I want in the car on the list.

The Apple TV outputs Composte Video on the Green connector, a small hack is needed to get it in colour. But it is so simple to do and widely documented

One of the best, and probably the most underrated media players readily available.

I will give you a call. I am up for one of your media boxes....

Did you use the alpine head units etc to control the screens same as the factory fit cars ? I bet you had a nightmare getting it all working...Do you have your digital tv running through the rear screens as well ?

If the apple tv thing had a radio remote that would be pretty useful as no need to run a sensor into the rear cabin but I bet it dosnt....Also apple stuff is all propiatary, you have to use their format so no divx xvid etc.....

I would want a proper open media player that can play a range of formats personally...

Hi, The AppleTV out of the box, only plays video sourced via iTunes, BUT it can be VERY easily made to play ALL formats, avi, wmv, divx, mp4, etc etc...