pads all round, anything i should know?

FBFsussex

Personally,yes, I'd say go to Audi to get the parts and just get a local garage to fit for much less. Cheaper substitute pads can rattle like mad in the front calipers. If you have a V8, then it's 4 pads each for front and 2 each in rear. Can't remember cost exactly, sorry, but it is fairly pricey considering they're disposable wearing parts.

Another problem with the cheaper pads is that they can squeal like a stuck pig under normal braking.

If you're planning to go the OEM route, you might want to look at some of the alternate pad options such as red stuff or black diamond.

The fronts are easy enough to do, but for the rears you'll need the rewind tool, should cost about 15-20 quid from the local motor factors as the rear pistons don't just push back, they screw back and are a right PITA without the tool.

[ QUOTE ]

The fronts are easy enough to do, but for the rears you'll need the rewind tool, should cost about 15-20 quid from the local motor factors as the rear pistons don't just push back, they screw back and are a right PITA without the tool.

[/ QUOTE ]

G-Clamp and slipjoint pliers... wink.gif

eeek! £217 incl from the stealers!! i sounded so shocked he offered me a 10% discount..

im not paying that for brake pads. the red stuff are about the same price, black diamond seem more affordable.

can anyone offer any other aftermarket pads that are worth using without costing silly money?

[ QUOTE ]

Personally,yes, I'd say go to Audi to get the parts and just get a local garage to fit for much less. Cheaper substitute pads can rattle like mad in the front calipers. If you have a V8, then it's 4 pads each for front and 2 each in rear. Can't remember cost exactly, sorry, but it is fairly pricey considering they're disposable wearing parts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some V6's have them as well wink.gif

Seems like you got the shock of the prices already I was quoted £178 for the fronts; they're not called stealers for nothing you know.

Mintex aren't bad but I think EBC and black diamond stuff is favoured.

[ QUOTE ]

thanks guys, i was thinking genuine pads, dont they have a sensor for when they have worn? i just noticed mine have a rough feel in the peddle and a squealing. i am right to be changing them though right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think you need new pads at all, you are unlikely to feel any problems with the pad until it is metal to metal and even then the grinding noise will alert you shocked.gif

The squealing, especially at low speed is caused by the pads glazing, If I am right you have effectively polished the surface of the pad by not using them hard enough. Check your pads have a reasonable amount of material left, (just look through the wheel) then try using them harder. As I suggested for curing the warped feel the other day, take the car out up to fairly high speed and when safe to do so brake hard and then repeat a couple more times. You may well find that and "rough feeling" and squealling will be much improved.

Cost £0 + vat 169144-ok.gif

Its usually low speed braking/creeping in traffic that can polish the pad. If it doesn't work out for you, youve not lost anything. If you tend to brake hard I'd look into the Red stuff, or even the Yellow stuff. I have red fitted now and have a set of Yellow at home ready to go on beerchug.gif

Depends on the discs smile.gif I think generics are about £50 a corner. You need to do something pretty heavy to knacker a disc though.

Just make sure that when you've done the heavy braking to try and let the system cool down a bit before coming to a stop for any length of time to try and prevent deposits building up.

[ QUOTE ]

The squealing, especially at low speed is caused by the pads glazing, If I am right you have effectively polished the surface of the pad by not using them hard enough. Check your pads have a reasonable amount of material left, (just look through the wheel) then try using them harder. As I suggested for curing the warped feel the other day, take the car out up to fairly high speed and when safe to do so brake hard and then repeat a couple more times. You may well find that and "rough feeling" and squealling will be much improved.

Cost £0 + vat 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

£20 in V-Power you mean! 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Its usually low speed braking/creeping in traffic that can polish the pad. If it doesn't work out for you, youve not lost anything. If you tend to brake hard I'd look into the Red stuff, or even the Yellow stuff. I have red fitted now and have a set of Yellow at home ready to go on beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Bit of a warning on the YellowStuffs mate - they're crap from cold (and I mean crap) and good (only good, not great) when hot but they run really, really hot. I managed to melt the pads on the S2 which boiled the fluid and took my dust seals and fluid seals with them.

Crap pads £75

New brake fluid £45

Caliper seal kit £65

New pads (DS2500) £105

1 (one) full day of my time

Beware - especially as you have an auto.

[ QUOTE ]

Bit of a warning on the YellowStuffs mate - they're crap from cold (and I mean crap) and good (only good, not great) when hot but they run really, really hot. I managed to melt the pads on the S2 which boiled the fluid and took my dust seals and fluid seals with them.

Crap pads £75

New brake fluid £45

Caliper seal kit £65

New pads (DS2500) £105

1 (one) full day of my time

Beware - especially as you have an auto.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good effort, sets me a challenge to beat at least laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Some V6's have them as well wink.gif

Seems like you got the shock of the prices already I was quoted £178 for the fronts; they're not called stealers for nothing you know.

Mintex aren't bad but I think EBC and black diamond stuff is favoured.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm maybe I should keep quiet... I replaced the front pads on mine just before I sold it with a new set from the stealers...

I was gonna get a set from halfrauds (eeek!). They were order and paid for with a promise of next day delivery.

After 2 days they wern't in so I cancelled the order and got the genuine part. Strange thing was they were cheaper than halfrauds!

I then went onto having to get one of the wheel bolts forcibly removed... gotta love those tyreshop airguns with 1,000,0000,000.2 psi!