Subarus - Owners and their cars....

I just stumbled across this, and got thinking, http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/402464.htm quick, cheap, reliable and a bit different. Thing is, the vast majority of Scoobies I see look like this heap of shite 379280-2.jpg which really puts me off...

Now I'm sure it has got a squillion BHP, but it just screams 'knobhead' to me. Are there any standard, non-chavved-up ones out there ? Also, why do so many seem to have had engine rebuilds ? I hear about Subaru reliability, but why so many engine rebuilds ? confused.gif

Thoughts ? crazy.gif

I agree, some look really sh*te, and i cant understand why owners feel the need to bu**er about with the engine. If they dont like it as it is, why buy one? Mine is completely standard engine wise, the only things i've changed is a stainless exhaust(fairly quiet), the wheels, changed the orange indicators for clear ones and tinted it. Surely if Subaru thought the engine needed all theses gauges, turbo timers and other rubbish that people fit, they would have fitted it in the first place confused.gif

If it aint broke, dont fix it, is my motto. Thats why most scoobs go bang.

Gratuitous pic of mine 169144-ok.gif

Janepaintjob004.jpg

The HUGE majority of Subaru engine rebuilds are on Jap imports that have been buggered about with to silly degrees but not recalibrated for 95/98 RON fuel (they get 100 RON in Japan).

There have been a miniscule number of major engine warranty claims processed by Subaru UK on unmolested UK cars. And I mean miniscule.

I know exactly what you mean about the image of most Imprezas - especially when going back to the Mk1. Back then there were official import limits meaning only a couple of thousand (at most) UK Turbos were sold each year - so the majority of 90s Imprezas you see now are cheap Jap imports that have been wallied up by chavs.

I can't stand the 2001 bug eyed model you linked, but if you hunt around the Subaru dealers for some cheap unmolested older Imprezas you'll find a quick, reliable bargain... and the more standard it is, the less like a chavved up import it looks.

They're an awesome car, that started with a true enthusiast 'cult' car image ... that has sadly been tarnished in recent years by the chavs. But I'd say don't let that, or scare stories of engine rebuilds, put you off. 169144-ok.gif

• 1 month later...

I looked at a fairly early Impreza Turbo 2000 AWD last year, was absolutely stock standard bar a big bore exhaust, but it had about 130k miles and the trader selling it was a complete tosser. Shame really as it was a nice looking car, none of the big wings and ugly headlights of later models. Was the same colour as our Forester too, so they would have matched :P