Dropping voltage down to 10v

[ QUOTE ]

Personally I'd go for a voltage regulator rather than a resistor..... MC7810 or something like that

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that the same as a LM317? I had been reading about them and in the spec sheet it shows a stable 10v schematic.

Progress so far

Main Red light bar (Full 440mm length)

Full%20size(Small).JPG

This can be cut into sections 55mm long with 4 led's

Size(Small).JPG

With a 10ohm resistor (Didn't have any 7.5 laying around) On(Small).JPG

Next challenge is to locate a osram OTDIM unit, This will let me dim the LED's to provide sidelights and then full power for stop lamps. Well that's what I'm hoping to do! beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Personally I'd go for a voltage regulator rather than a resistor..... MC7810 or something like that

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that the same as a LM317? I had been reading about them and in the spec sheet it shows a stable 10v schematic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Similar....

LM317 is a variable output regulator, you need external components in order to set the output voltage.

The MC78XX series are fixed voltage regulators, they require no additional external components and provide a fixed voltage output, 78'10' = 10V

Paul

Looking at the data sheet on the OTDIM.

The OTDIM wont allow you to feed 13.8V (Max battery voltage) into it,so a 7810 regulator & heatsink will be needed.

The OTDIM will provide 1 to 10Vdc to feed the LED light string.

You will just need to "switch in" 2 different resistor values into the control pins to set the brightness levels.

Looking at the system (but never used one) I think you should have a 100k resistor across the control signal pins to give zero light output (maybe even just an open circuit might do the same), 50k to give 1/2 brightness level and 0 ohms to give full brightness level.

You should also fit a relay (or power transistor) into the power circuit to disconnect the controller when the ignition is turned off.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Similar....

LM317 is a variable output regulator, you need external components in order to set the output voltage.

The MC78XX series are fixed voltage regulators, they require no additional external components and provide a fixed voltage output, 78'10' = 10V

Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

I did a quick seach on some local suppliers websites but nothing came up for MC7810? I'll have a search later. It sounds like what I need. 169144-ok.gif169144-ok.gifbeerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Looking at the data sheet on the OTDIM.

The OTDIM wont allow you to feed 13.8V (Max battery voltage) into it,so a 7810 regulator & heatsink will be needed.

The OTDIM will provide 1 to 10Vdc to feed the LED light string.

You will just need to "switch in" 2 different resistor values into the control pins to set the brightness levels.

Looking at the system (but never used one) I think you should have a 100k resistor across the control signal pins to give zero light output (maybe even just an open circuit might do the same), 50k to give 1/2 brightness level and 0 ohms to give full brightness level.

You should also fit a relay (or power transistor) into the power circuit to disconnect the controller when the ignition is turned off.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know I need a stable 10V in, I will look into the voltage regulators.

Thats what I was thinking if I could switch in a sidelight/Brakelight feed to the unit to change it from 50% to 100% it means I can run one light bar for side and stop lamps.

I should have the OTDIM unit but order the OT9/10-24/350DIM by accident smashfreakB.gif

I've also got a white 6700K linearlight unit, this looks like Audi DLR lights, I'll post a picture up tomorrow.

Cheers for everyone that helped so far 169144-ok.gif