Modular RJ-45/coax faceplates

Chris_B

Buying a new house; already built, but walls not painted yet, so there's an opportunity for a small amount of extra 'stuff' to go in before the painter is scheduled, but not long, so time is of the essence!

There's currently eight coax sockets round the place, and I'm going to ask if I can have another two. However, it would be nice to be able to support IP-based media round the place using small PCs and wired LAN rather than wireless.

So, what I'd like to do is to get a length of Cat5e pulled alongside each coax cable up to the loft, and stick a small switch in there to wire it all together. Then later, I can think about adding a media server either there, or in the cupboard under the stairs.

Getting the wires pulled is sone thing (some of the runs may be impossible to thread another cable through unfortunately), but face plates are a problem, because the existing coax face plates are single-gang coax only, and some of them are in exterior walls in chopped-in metal backboxes, so won't easily extend to a dual-gang.

Is there a modular or fixed faceplate that has a coax (TV style) outlet and an RJ-45 outlet?

If I can't get it done now, I doubt I'll ever pull the walls open to the degree required to retrofit later, so it's now or never, and I just don't want to have to go wireless for media (even though I'll put a wireless AP in the loft for data for the laptop etc).

Have you had a look at the GET plc range? I spent ages for a good co-ordinated range and GET were the only company I found that offered what I was after.

Have a look at the brochure as the grids are offered in most finishes and a 1 patress fitting will take two modules. They offer co-ax and rj45 in single modules.

http://www.getplc.com/connect/ultimate/grid-systems.asp

What he said!

MK do a similar thing but its pants down bum slapped money for essentially the same thing. The GET range includes matchuing sockets, switches etc. and is darn good value for money. If they haven't already put the CAT5e in, ask for screened 169144-ok.gif

Goto your local Electrical Distributors (eg Rexel Senate)

and ask for what you need.

www.cpc.co.uk do some of the items you need, but I can't see the standard coax outlet - but it is available.

Have a look at CPC part numbers

PL00609

PL00613

PL00614

PL00616

all above are MK

OR

PL01856

PL01859

PL01834

I'll have a look at work to see if i can find a part number for a std coax outlet

[ QUOTE ]

OR

PL01856

PL01859

PL01834

[/ QUOTE ]

Those last three look to be perfect - a single-gang faceplate that will take two 25mm modules; one TV coax and one RJ-45. This will allow me to retain the existing single-gang backboxes, and now it's just seeing if I can get Cat5 cable pulled through the runs where the coax goes.

Thanks! 169144-ok.gif