Which Touareg engine to choose 2.5tdi or 3.0 tdi

A4TC

All right guys looking for a touareg altitude but cant decide on engine, How underpowered is the 2.5 compared to the 3.0? and how good is the touareg to drive ? ( does it actually feel like a car or when i test drove a landrover discovery it felt like driving a truck). any input would be great,

Cheers in advance people.

I quite like the Touareg, i'd drive each of them because the 3l is better but also thirstier, and I think the gain is only something like 37hp between engines, and in my daily driving I didnt find a huge difference between them as performance really isnt an issue.

I recently had a try of numerous cars of this Ilk and eventually went for a Range Rover sport, because it cost less, based on same cost / same deposit, etc.

I ruled out the Cayenne purely because of the petrol running cost, I like them as a place to be, but costs didnt seem to be cheap when you work out running. DYnamically they are good to drive.

Touareg was good, but in the end I went with my wallet and went for non VW. Decision was almost purely cost based. Sport is a good car though.

I recently swapped my S4 for a 3L TDI Touareg, not 100% certain I like auto and TDI having been used to instantaneous welly in any gear, but fitting a babyseat etc in the S4 was too much hassle, so here I am in a Touareg.

Didn't try the 2.5 as I had read it was underpowered. I have the air suspension which feels like being on the top deck of a wobbly bus at times in comfort mode, so I just leave it set to sport all the time on road. Nice to drive and I am getting 26.5mpg average long term, with 30 on my 25 mile commute to/from work.

cheers jimbutler for reply

How did you find the brakes? have you ever tried a X5 3.0d? ifso how does that compare.

nearly bought a X5 just felt they are abit too common for my liking so looking for the right touareg to come along.

Didn't try X5 or anything else 4x4 for that matter. Decided the day we brought the baby home from hospital that the S4 had to go. Wifey hates estate/avant/tourings, and I have 3 classic beemers, so adding another (to go with wifeys 118i) would make us a 5 beemer family - a bit much!

I test drove an A8 3.0TDI and loved it, just too long to fit in the parking area at the back of my house (or rather took a 16 point turn to get out again!). A6 is barely shorter, A4 too small inside, liked the look of the Treg and that was it. I test drove one with standard suspension and thought it was fine, got a cracking deal via my brother in law who is in the trade, so ended up with air, xenons, heated seats etc for a very low price. Suffice it to say I could trade it in for more than I paid.

Brakes - remember you are driving a huge great truck rather than a normal sized car, and they are fine - in fact they are very good.

Check out www.mytreg.com for some more opinions.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

I have just bought a 3.0 Altitude, having tested the X3 and X5.

The only thing the BMW was better on was handling, in every other sense I did not think they BMW even comes close. Feels cheap comparitavely, noisy at speed, and the missus hated driving it.

The T-reg is so smooth, is comfy, quiet and quick enough.

I spent £24.5 on a 55 plate (06 registered) altitude with Zenons, Ipod, removable Tow bar, elec seats etc with 28,000 miles from a garage

That would of been ideal ,Im looking for 1 in black , test drove a

2.5 today just to get the feel of it and loved it , Also missed out on 1 today gutted but i will keep looking.

• 4 weeks later...
That would of been ideal ,Im looking for 1 in black , test drove a

2.5 today just to get the feel of it and loved it , Also missed out on 1 today gutted but i will keep looking.

Did you find one? I may be selling a lot sooner than planned. Basically I miss the petrol/manual welly too much.

Jim

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...

3.0v6 is a great engine agreed, but the 2.5tdi is not kak by any standard. It pulls well, is lighter than the V6 lower insurance and better fuel economy and you can have the 6spd manual box. In my wife's Touareg we recently went to Cotswold wildlife park - well you cannot get there by anything other that mainly B roads and so you just roll along at about 45 mph - well it managed a staggering 43.8mpg over the 80 odd mile trip.

Sorry but you do not have to work on them day in day out. The V6 is far superior and they have dropped that R5 engine because it is kak! Water pumps a plenty, a few head gaskets here and there turbo/EGR problems.

V6's are a joy no real major issues to be honest+++

You must be one of the fortunate ones my friend.+++