Anyone tried replacing their antenna cable?

richspeight

So, my A4 Cab appears to be suffering the age old problem of no FM reception. Apparently it's something to do with the cable getting knackered where it enters the bootlid.

I could try and cut our the broken bit, and patch in a new cable; but that sounds like a lot of hard work.

Easier (I think) is to buy a whole new cable (35 quid-ish from VAGParts. Probably). I've got the old CD based SatNav Plus (everything else seems to work, well, except the TMC, but then I assume that uses the FM antenna to get the subcodes from Classic FM), if it makes a difference.

Anyway, the question I have is: has anyone else tried replacing their FM cable? It's 5.5m long, so I'm guessing there's a fair amount of trim to pull up and replace. Is there anything special I need to know?

Thanks in advance chaps.

RichyS

It may seem a pain, but cutting out the knackered bit and rejoining the cable is actually quite easy. I found there is a fair amount of slack in the cable, and the break in mine was right inside the black hosing that links the bootlid and the sidepanel. I used a combination of soldering the inner core, wrapping electric tape around the join, wrapping foil around this (where the wire strands are), and then covering it all again in more electrical tape has done the trick. I've not noticed any loss in reception quality.