Daytime Runing Light bulbs & "Tourist Solution"

mike_true80

I have a C6 Allroad with Adaptive headlights and a whole host of questions...

First up, in VAG-COM there is a setting in the Headlight section called Tourist Solution - does anyone know what this physically does? I've been searching the internet and the only answer I've found is that it lowers the beams slightly and deactivates the adaptive bit so they don't swing - sounds pretty useless to me! I've had a go at activating it but can't see any difference at all!

Secondly, can anyone tell me what bulb type is used for the daytime running light? Again, I've been searching the internet but can't find an answer for that bulb and I don't fancy grovelling in the engine bay right now to find out for myself!

Thanks in advance

[ QUOTE ]

First up, in VAG-COM there is a setting in the Headlight section called Tourist Solution - does anyone know what this physically does? I've been searching the internet and the only answer I've found is that it lowers the beams slightly and deactivates the adaptive bit so they don't swing

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty much it as far as I can see - it's used when driving abroad, so the 'kick up' on the left doesn't blind oncoming drivers. As an aside, I was in an 08 plate S5 the other day, and this has been added to MMI as an option under Car/systems/Exterior Lighting.

[ QUOTE ]

Secondly, can anyone tell me what bulb type is used for the daytime running light?!

[/ QUOTE ]

Not 100% sure, but could be 21w 1156 BA15S - see http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/LampReplacementGuide/

Thanks for the reply Chris.

Next question, have you ever tried to change a bulb yourself?? Can you do it just by removing the cover from the back of the headlight unit? It looks pretty tight in there! Or do you have to remove the bumper and pull the headlight unit out the front?

Never tried, I'm afraid. Replacing the standard daytime running lights with LEDs is something that's on my 'to do' list, but hasn't been done in the last 8 months, so don't hold your breath...

As far as I am aware, there should be no need to remove the front bumper, but as you say is is very tight in there.

There was a thread with pics about putting LED running lights into a B7 RS 4 in the RS forum, if the back of the headlamp assembly loks the same, a lot of that info might apply.

Good Luck!

I had another look yesterday and I can unclip the back cover from the nearside headlight but it looks as though it needs to drop down / open more to be removed properly and I can't get my hand in as it is. Trouble is all the power steering gubbins is in the way preventing it opening enough on that side, and the air intake is in the way even more on the other side! One way or another bits are going to have to be removed...