Watching BBC iPlayer abroad

Jon

Hi

It doesn't work - it is blocked. Annoyingly it uses IP detection to guess where you are, so it can even block you if you are in the UK, but it doesn't think so.

I spent ages before an England match once using anonymous proxies to connect to 5Live to listen, but to no avail. Treated myself to a Slingbox instead.

• 1 month later...

Another proxy server company is International Alliance Privacy Services A 6 month UK IP address is 75 USD.

Click on the UK/BBC/ITV Radio information button. I think they do a free trial. We have been using them for a few months now and can thoroughly recommend the service. Much better than trying to track down elusive 'free' proxies. Money well spent so we can keep up with Doctor Who and Have I Got News For You while living in abroad!

Direct link: https://www.intl-alliance.com/bbc.html

I have a 2m Sat dish on the side of my garage to watch Sky and all the UK channels at home :)

• 5 weeks later...

The trial from Int'l Alliance works well.

I have one question.....there are VPN and SSH packages available with a $20 difference. I have sent messages to them asking which one I should purchase but they never respond. Which one is best just for watching BBC/ITV etc. ??

$140/year for a UK IP address seems a bit expensive. For that money you could just about get a virtual private server somewhere in the UK and setup a proxy server on it. Mind you, I suppose letting someone else do the boring techy stuff is worth a bit of a premium.

A mate of mine has recently emigrated to Canada and so that he can keep watching stuff on the iPlayer I setup Squid on one of my Linux boxes and then he creates an SSH tunnel from his PC to the box and tells his web browser to use http://localhost:8080 as the proxy server. Works like a charm.

• 2 months later...
The BBC are a commercial organisation and justifiably want people to pay for what they create outside of the UK, after all we have to pay for it when we are in the UK so why should others get it for free.....

:cool:

Too right!! Its another form of illegal immigration except they're not actually coming into the country!!

The BBC are a commercial organisation and justifiably want people to pay for what they create outside of the UK, after all we have to pay for it when we are in the UK so why should others get it for free.....

:cool:

:grin: I pay for it in the UK so why shouldn't I be able to watch it when I'm abroad?

I was annoyed the other day when I couldn't watch the F1 on the ITV website from the USA

Might have to look into one of these Slingbox thingys +++

Yes to both. It works really well and as I spend a lot of time working abroad it is very very useful.

As long as you have about 0.5Mbit upstream available at home and the same at the place you're trying to watch from it'll work just fine.

Only slight niggle is that there is a delay of a few seconds from when you push a button on the remote control in the Sling Player software to anything happening but that's down to the way that data is buffered.

All in all - a great product.

• 5 years later...