PS3 screen help

BrianFD3S

I'll be moving out of home for Uni soon enough, and one of my first purchases, I've decided, will be a PS3. Please don't scrutinise this decision, the above was just to establish the context. The point of this thread is to ask for help RE what I should use as the display, ie a computer monitor or a TV. I have neither. I have no idea of the difference with resolution and value for money on choosing between the two. Actually, I don't know if a PS3 would work with a monitor.

Anyway- if someone out there could give me advice on the subject, or even recommend a TSN Approved product, a la Fuji F31d and Etymotic ER6, that would be great.

No doubt you will be needing a computer and want to watcha bit of tel (in between hard drinking/ studying), i would go for a hd tv with freeview but which also has a dvi input for the computer.

Samsung do a range i think of 20-22 inch versions which should fit the bill, although they are not cheap (check ebuyer.com)

The PlayStation3 would work with a decent monitor just fine using the right cables/connectors etc.

If I was in your position I would be a decent high resolution monitor and then get the PlayStation3 with the PlayTV Freeview unit....... it will all be upscaled to 1080 so aslong as you get a decent screen you`ll be sorted!

Riz +++

Im having the same predicament except dont need mine to be a monitor, even so ebuyer has a load of Samsung TV's in a range called syncmaster and I hear nothing but good things about them. The problem for me is they only seem to go up to 22" which is a bit small. They are however marked as TV and monitor so may be perfect for what your looking for

The PlayStation3 would work with a decent monitor just fine using the right cables/connectors etc.

If I was in your position I would be a decent high resolution monitor and then get the PlayStation3 with the PlayTV Freeview unit....... it will all be upscaled to 1080 so aslong as you get a decent screen you`ll be sorted!

Riz +++

I'm not quite sure what this PlayTV entails. Although I'll google it now, would you mind explaining a bit about it to me? And will it work in Ireland [where I am situated]?

Thanks everyone. I'm now looking at monitors in the 23+ range. It'd probably be a better choice over a tv as I'm thinking of getting a small laptop so that might be useful when working at home =]

I'm not quite sure what this PlayTV entails. Although I'll google it now, would you mind explaining a bit about it to me? And will it work in Ireland [where I am situated]?

Thanks everyone. I'm now looking at monitors in the 23+ range. It'd probably be a better choice over a tv as I'm thinking of getting a small laptop so that might be useful when working at home =]

Basically PlayTV is a Digital Freeview add-on for the PlayStation3 which makes use of the HDD for recording programs etc (PVR). But it has 2 tuners built into it so you can record and watch different programs at the same time etc, also it will upscale it all to 1080p, if this is anything like the playback of upscaled dvd movies on the PlayStation3, it will be fantastic!!!

It will record as MPEG2 and this data will be available to copy as you please or move to a PC etc.

The downsides....... the price and small PlayStation3 HDD may need upgrading to a bigger one, or buy a external USB drive!

The PlayStaion3 will be a true multi-media unit.

TV, Music, Games, Movies, Internet etc.

Riz +++