Promotion at Last!!!

bpsmith

I'm not the naive one my friend. But I'll give up on this. You clearly don't even know the difference between the FA and the Football League ... and as for what Bates has done being legal, well I guess that depends on whether you're mug enough to believe him or astute enough to do a little research.

And claiming that Leeds' plight has any similarity whatsoever with the many smaller lower league clubs who are genuinely struggling to keep going from one week to the next is a craven insult to those clubs, true football fans and the game as a whole.

For Bates to claim that he is somehow doing those clubs a favour makes me want to throw up and laugh out loud at the same time.

(which sounds very messy ... :P )

I hope you play Doncaster in the play offs. They'll ****ing annihilate you.

Garcon the FL applied the 15 point deduction but it was the FA rules that we went to arbitration to contest.

How is our lack of cash any different from anyone else's ? We were still skint and struggling to pay our debts. In a way it's worse as over the last few years we have been systematically robbed (financially) by all and sundry and now we are stuck with Bates who clearly is in it for the profit and not the love of Leeds.

As much as my obvious dislike of Bates he has not acted illegally, if he had do you not think there would be a civil case to answer here? The dangerous precedent here is that any smaller club which goes into insolvency will have to adhere to much stricter financial constraints coming out of receivership which are unique and different to any other LTD company in the UK.

We shall see if the FA ad FL are as tough on the likes of Luton etc who are struggling.

Face it performance and finances are intrinsically linked in the current FL set up with the big bucks going to the top performers. It is no mystery that Man TD have just been listed as the richest club.

Anyway all is fair in love and war so lets see how the playoffs go and all I ask is less of the cheating Leeds, our supporters and players have nothing to do with all this.

Anyway all is fair in love and war so lets see how the playoffs go and all I ask is less of the cheating Leeds, our supporters and players have nothing to do with all this.

We can agree on that at least. And the dislike of Bates. (Did you know the first club he chaired was Oldham?) :grin:

In many ways, now the legal stuff is out of the way, the fans and players will deserve it if Leeds get up through the playoffs. I know we gave you a football lesson at Elland Road, but apart from that you've been comfortably the second strongest side in the division.

We can agree on that at least. And the dislike of Bates. (Did you know the first club he chaired was Oldham?) :grin:

In many ways, now the legal stuff is out of the way, the fans and players will deserve it if Leeds get up through the playoffs. I know we gave you a football lesson at Elland Road, but apart from that you've been comfortably the second strongest side in the division.

Good luck to all - playoffs can be very unpredictable and on the edge of your seat stuff or dull as dishwater, here's for the former.

Good luck to all.

The fact is, the other Ltd companies aren't in the Football business now are they!?! Spot the flaw there fella...

I cant see the FA or the FL getting involved in Northern Rock being in trouble somehow, can you?

I really take offence to you saying that its what businesses do nowadays and perfectly acceptable! Bates wanted to pay back creditors 7p in every £1 they owed them! Cant see you being so chuffed about that if they owed you thousands!?!

Anyway, more importantly, we still beat you on points even if you do believe you should be richer to the tune of 15 more, so can finally put that fact behind us!

Finally, as said above already and what you must have missed somehow, if Leeds do get promoted in the Play Offs then I honestly wish you luck in the future and look forward to playing you again next year. I believe your chances have vastly improved by Forest clinching the second spot on the last day for sure!!!

If you dont make it against Carlisle, then its League 1 again next year and if your such an awesome club then I am sure you will see the Championship after next season? Hopefully not going up the ladder as were potentially sliding down it back to League 1...

This football banter does not half get the blood pumping! One thing we ALL agree on I do believe!?!

Well done to Forest for pinching the second Auto spot. +++

Good luck to Donny, Leeds, Carlisle and Southend for the playoffs. +++

I'm going to have a sneaky little wager on the team that seems to have crept in there with no-one noticing - Southend.

Oh, and bookmark this post... get ready to congratulate Oldham Athletic, League One Champions 2008/9. :grin:

The fact is, the other Ltd companies aren't in the Football business now are they!?! Spot the flaw there fella...

I cant see the FA or the FL getting involved in Northern Rock being in trouble somehow, can you?

I really take offence to you saying that its what businesses do nowadays and perfectly acceptable! Bates wanted to pay back creditors 7p in every £1 they owed them! Cant see you being so chuffed about that if they owed you thousands!?!

Anyway, more importantly, we still beat you on points even if you do believe you should be richer to the tune of 15 more, so can finally put that fact behind us!

Finally, as said above already and what you must have missed somehow, if Leeds do get promoted in the Play Offs then I honestly wish you luck in the future and look forward to playing you again next year. I believe your chances have vastly improved by Forest clinching the second spot on the last day for sure!!!

If you dont make it against Carlisle, then its League 1 again next year and if your such an awesome club then I am sure you will see the Championship after next season? Hopefully not going up the ladder as were potentially sliding down it back to League 1...

This football banter does not half get the blood pumping! One thing we ALL agree on I do believe!?!

Ah – I did not think it would long before we saw you back on this thread crowing about beating us by one point (if we had got the 15 back)

Happy for you mate but do think I have to respond to some of your points;

So you feel that Leeds United Ltd should be treated differently under financial law when coming out of administration to all other companies listed at Companies House ?? For right or wrong it is common place for a firm to continue having met a % of its debts.

The simple reason for this (and yes it is often abused) is that it allows a firm to continue trading, employing people and paying tax if it still has a viable business model (which Leeds certainly do). Leeds stupidly got them into a right old mess borrowing huge amounts of money from the banks and investment vehicles to try and buy success and compete with the super rich clubs. This sort of worked for a time but like all huge debt it’s the interest payments that end crippling you. To me these banks and investment boutiques can go jump, they knew what they were doing and got their fingers burnt. Now I am not saying Bates is any kind of fairy godmother here but all he wanted to do was to start again with a fighting chance and clear of crippling debt. (and I am sure make himself a few millions on the way)

Still can’t see how personally that the FL have any authority to involve themselves in the financial affairs of a Football club other than to keep your golden share you have to be out of administration by a certain date before the season starts. To dictate that they don’t like the way it was done and to impose a 15 point penalty is draconian and IMHO out of their concern.

Anyway the sun is out and must dash, enjoy next season and good luck. We hope to see you next season and enjoy the rivalry again. Just don’t do anything stupid and get into debt to try and buy your way up that table. It just hurts in the long run.....................

Cheers

All teams in the Football League agree to go by the same rules, I think we all agree there?

If you go into administration, then the rules state that you have to come out via a CVA, agreed?

Leeds did not follow the above, so got 15 points taken off, irrespective of the 10 in previous season which was due to filing?

None of the above points deductions were due to the fact that they filed in the last 10 mins of the season, despite people who dont know the details thinking so?

Cut and dried to any court of law I do believe?

Cannot compare Football Clubs to any other companies as their sole existence is to play football in the Football League? Therefore, if you want to play in the league then you follow the rules, hence Leeds accepting the 15 points deduction in order to get their share back at the start of this season?

If an individual goes bankrupt then they have to wait quite some time before being allowed credit again, so how come Bates can jump back in the saddle and potentially do the same thing once again!?!

I dont believe that Clubs outside the Premiership need to spend over the odds in order to get where they want to get? Bristol City is a shining example of this not being the case?

Anyway...the season is now over and you can put it down to experience and push on for promotion the proper way now. Good luck and enjoy Wembley, if you do get that far, it should be an awesome day!

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers mate.

Thought we played superb last night and Becks aint even firing yet - needs to do for the final!!

Midfield ran it's heart out. Think Prutton and Kilkenny are top players - and good to see home grown talent paying off in the form of Howson.

Carlisle will be gutted after conceding such late goals in both legs, but they have been a feature of Leeds' whole season so it seems fitting in that sense.

I heard Kilkenny had a great game. He was very hit and miss for us but seems to be able to turn it on in the big games.

Donny v Southend tonight. Donny v Leeds would be an awesome final, but I still have a sneaking feeling about Southend...

lol. Careful...

Our lad Robbo just left for Leeds it seems, but wanted to wait until after this weekends result to decide!

They told him stay or go but decide by end of yesterday. Glad he went though after not being able to decide. Would have hated him to stay but without his heart being at the club any longer.

Good luck to him for the future though...albeit in League 1 still...

My pleasure! ;)

I'm afraid today's result brought alot of happiness to an awful lot of football fans today.

That won't be easy for Leeds fans to take I know, but best to keep your head down til next season I reckon... :grin:

Never Garcon - Will be a Leeds supporter through good and bad (and there has been plenty of both since 1973) mate so expect to see me all over your Oldham threads like a rash.........

I guess you will be looking to take down the Swans too, should they not perform as planned!

A good point made above is that I wonder how Leeds will perform, straight out of the gates at the start of next season, when they are on 0 points like everyone else!?!

I suspect that they wont be quite as eager as they were this year, and will prove the point I made about the -15 points being a massive motivator!?!

I feel bad for Doncaster though, as loads on about how fantastic Leeds have been, etc, when Doncaster beat them!

Also no mention of how well the Swans did, considering they scored more than Leeds even when you consider the 15 point deduction!

Always the same for Welsh clubs though!!!

Nice for Robbo to play another season, at least, in League 1 though! ;-)

I guess you will be looking to take down the Swans too, should they not perform as planned!

A good point made above is that I wonder how Leeds will perform, straight out of the gates at the start of next season, when they are on 0 points like everyone else!?!

I suspect that they wont be quite as eager as they were this year, and will prove the point I made about the -15 points being a massive motivator!?!

I feel bad for Doncaster though, as loads on about how fantastic Leeds have been, etc, when Doncaster beat them!

Also no mention of how well the Swans did, considering they scored more than Leeds even when you consider the 15 point deduction!

Always the same for Welsh clubs though!!!

Nice for Robbo to play another season, at least, in League 1 though! ;-)

Ah I feel so sorry for you mate - not enough headlines!!! Accept it Swans, Doncaster etc have it all to prove and all to play for to make a name for themselves. Leeds have the history which is why we get all the piss take and headlines - everyone likes to kick you when your down.............

I'll look forward to it. It's all good banter. :grin:

I'm genuinely hoping Oldham will be competing at the top next season. In all probability Leeds will be too - it depends what kind of financial hole Bates has created with his promotion at all costs transfer pollicy this season...

Yes we shall see - hope Bates dips into his own pocket to try and get us back up - unlikely i know as he is only here as he thought he saw an undervalued asset, saying that seeing the massive support we had at Wembley and Donny could not even sell their allocation he has quite a few customers to sell to so who knows he may invest..........

lol

At least Doncaster are chuffed to be in the Championship, as are we, and dont just think it is their God given right to be there just because they are has beens!?!

Will look forward to seeing Oldham take you down next year...

(I enjoy the banter too!)