BHP chip for 320d?

gr4z

Got my 320d Coupe the other week and am very impressed from what I was used to with my old Subaru Legacy (even though that baby had 260BHP!). Have noticed a few places marketing BHP/ECU chips for various cars including the E92. Some boast a BHP improvement to 208 form the standard 177(?).

Anyone have any experiences with these? I am assuming BMW themselves won't like them much!?

Thanks

I think Gizze has some experience of the Spider tuning box and take a look at Simon737's thread in the 1-series forum about the P-Tronic box.

The CPU itself is proving difficult to "crack" apparently, although I'm not up with the latest on this.

I'm considering a P-Tronic myself - they claim 226BHP and a reduction of 15% in fuel consumption!

It probably would but... it's hardware so can be installed and removed in five minutes (verified by Simon737) before after the car goes in the garage. As far as I know it is then completely undetectable and so is, in a way, better than a remap. However, I'm sure proper remaps have other advantages.

Yeah that is when they came out, 5/07/.

I honestly can't see what that box offers over the Spider, is it really worth another £200?

One of the guys who has tried both on a 120d said that the spider felt as quick.

I think I will still get a remap when they arrive, as long as they can push it hard. Also this Sharkedit is looking promising too, not what the score is with our cars, but it looks promising.

Thanks gizzie - just read your post on e90post.com and it looks impressive at £300. Any idea if this offer is still open? Am assuming you just remove it before going for a service at BMW to avoid any issues with them? Is it easy to remove for a complete idiot when it comes to car mechanics?

Yeah dead easy, pull the engine cover up and towards you to remove it, then unplug the connector on the common rail and plug this in, then plug that cable back into the spare one on the tuning box harness.

Takes 3 minutes I guess.

I forgot to take it off last time I was in, they didn't say anything.