Volkswagen Premium In Car Bluetooth

Hi everyone,

I have a question which someone on here will hopefully be able to answer.

My wife collected her new VW Tiguan with Premium Bluetooth fitted at the weekend. Since then we have been unable to pair our Sony Ericsson K800i phones up to the car. We also tried our neighbours new Nokia and an old Sony Ericsson (neither worked) although the brand manager at the dealers Nokia did work - we know the system is working.

Since Saturday I have called Orange twice, Sony Ericsson twice and VW once.

VW Head Office say that my phone isn't rSAP compatible so won't work. They say Nokia and Siemens will work.

Orange were hopeless and passed me to Sony. Sony however said today that rSAP is old software and that I need an update to A2DP from VW and our phones would then be compatible. It is supposedly very easy, however our dealer seems to know very little about this and is going to get in touch with VW H/O in the morning.

Sony also put me onto Fleet Communications in London who more or less agreed with VW about compatibility but agreed with Sony that an update was something only VW could do.

1- Why would VW use "old" software. Why not just update to something most people will need, to save all this hassle before letting the vehicle out?

2- If no update is available, does anyone know how to find out if my next phone will be rSAP compatible (due an upgrade in a few weeks time) Orange suggested calling every manufacturer!

3- Surely we can't be the only customers in the Uk who have had this issue. Any businessman / woman would surely be in the same boat?

I'll post up any response from VW or similar when I get it so it may help others in the future.

Many thanks in advance.

Neil

rSAP and A2DP are completely unrelated Bluetooth features.

Whoever told you that an update to add A2DP would solve your rSAP problem was talking complete rubbish.

Having said that it's possible that an update which includes a bug-fix for rSAP has been bundled with adding A2DP - but the two features are not linked in any way.

Cheers for the response.

It was the guy at Sony Ericsson who said that rSAP was "old". He said that A2DP updates from VW would solve it easily.

I had a call back from the dealer this afternoon who has been looking into it with VW H/O but so far has been unable to find out anything substantial.

They are concerned as they don't want to sell this product if it's not going to work with a high number of customers

When you say they are unrelated, are you saying that these phones and the bluetooth system will never work?

If this is the case then we need to find out which phones are compatible when we upgrade in the near future.

Keep the info coming.

Many thanks

Neil

When you say they are unrelated, are you saying that these phones and the bluetooth system will never work?

No I'm not saying that.

What I'm saying is that the Bluetooth feature A2DP (which is about transferring audio data using Bluetooth) has nothing in common with the Bluetooth feature rSAP (which is about transferring SIM data using Bluetooth).

A phone/hands-free combination that supports rSAP does not have to support A2DP and vice-versa.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know if there is a list of known working and incompatible phones for the Premium kit ?

Was going to get this fitted to my company car (56 plate Golf GT with RNS-510) - my personal phone is a K800i, but I'm thinking of upgrading soon (possibly the new iPhone) and my business phone is (at present) an SPV C600, also soon to be changed.

Pretty sure the P910i only supports a headset profile.

I went to pick up my new Passat at the weekend and left without it after we couldn't pair my Sony Erricson P910i. The dealer is contacting VW HO but if anyone has any update I would appreciate it .

Cheers

Hi folks,

After many calls to VW, Orange, Sony and Nokia I finally got an answer.

SE say that none of their current phones are SAP compliant. rSAP is VW's term for SAP.

Nokia say that the majority of their phones are SAP compliant including the N95 8gb. We have changed our phones last week to the N95 due to upgrades and they work with the Premium car kit.

The pairing and moving of the phone book was all done in a matter of minutes. Sound quality is excellent.

For a specific list of SAP Nokia phones, call their technical helpline. I was given a substantial list but unfortunately have since lost it.

Neil

• 2 years later...

I bought a VW golf in feb this year and have only recently found out about this sap business. I also bought some few months before buying the car a Sony Ericsson W995. I discovered afterwards about the sap issues. My phone which is also a new phone is not compatable. Does anyone have any suggestions what I should do

I bought a VW golf in feb this year and have only recently found out about this sap business. I also bought some few months before buying the car a Sony Ericsson W995. I discovered afterwards about the sap issues. My phone which is also a new phone is not compatable. Does anyone have any suggestions what I should do

Concentrate exclusively on driving your car and make phone calls when stationary and engine switched off - hold phone to your ear. Problem solved!

• 2 weeks later...

I contacted my VW dealer. He gave me a list of phones that do work, a small list, which I brought to a Car Phone Warehouse branch. There they told me that all phones on the list were old stock and only three cold be got provided I signed up to a new phone company. No SIM free phones on the list any longer in stock. Many of the others would be available on e Bay I was told.

The dealer took my details and I've heard nothing since. It's the salesman at the garage that deals with all custimer problems.

The garage don't seem to want to know.

So it seems that I need an upgrade from VW but don't quite know how or who to contact about this problem.

Anybody got a suggestion?:(