VW RNS 510 'TV on the Move'

The search feature doesn't seem to be working, so apologies if this has been covered countless time before. Recently got a new Golf with the RNS510 nav unit and already annoyed by the 'safety' feature that cuts off the DVD picture once over 5mph (or whatever speed). Read a few things about a cable adaptor that overrides this - could anyone here elaborate on what's involved, how it works and fits... or even just a few links to point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance!

I got myself one of these. You need to remove the RNS 510 then plug the box of tricks in between the loom and the 510. Job done.

Apparently when you use these adapters the speed dependent volume stops working as I believe the unit uses a pulse from the ABS system to switch off the DVD once you move off and the adapters block (or alter, I forget which) this signal. I never use it anyway so it doesn't bother me if it doesn't work.

Thanks, that was fast! Did you buy it from that site?

Just reading those disclaimers... is this a grey area re police (i.e. if they see you have the unit on when driving, they can decide to pull you over. Last thing I need is a copper having a bad day)?

Yep, I bought from the site I linked to.

I don't know about the legalities to be honest. Personally I wouldn't want to attempt to watch a DVD whilst driving. I bought the adapter so that I could have music DVDs playing while i was driving but I don't have the DVD video showing - I switch to the map and have that on instead.

On a few occasions though I have had a DVD video playing for other people in the car so I suppose I should find out about the legalities. It seems logical that the Rozzers might want a word if you have a DVD playing while you're driving.

Oh, yeah of course, it's for the passenger. Bit annoying on a long journey when you tell them the unit plays DVD but they can't watch it. Had a DVD on this morning on the way to work and even checking the novelty factor out at 2mph is distracting enough.

Thanks again!