Pricing my Gti

redbaron

Hi all,

After almost 3 years of GTi ownership I have decided to move on (to a TT). So now I need to sell my GTi, and I would like your opinions on a suitable price for a private sale. Have got about 2 months to sell the Gti, and I know the market conditions aren't great at the moment (actually it's probably about the worst time to try to sell the car!).

The spec is as follows:

05 55 Laser Blue, 30k miles, 17" alloys (1 lightly scratched), leather interior (unmarked), sunroof, 6 CD changer in armrest, xenons, rain/light sensors, electric mirrors/puddle lights. Full VW service history (2nd service at 28k), tyres all have 6mm tread, no damage to paintwork except a few stone chips, car has been well looked after etc.

It's been on Autotrader at £14k and not getting any interest, so what's a realistic price to expect?

Cheers,

Simon.

^ May i ask what book you are looking at as theres so damb many nowadays lol?

Or are you going on the market trend at this time and what you know from experience close to the trade sources in such cars which of cause makes nonsence of the book prices as there simply a guide.

My book shows its into 5 figures not by far though lol.

I've just sold mine for £13,750 - took about 4 weeks to sell. Mine was an 05/05 with 22K miles, xenons, winter pack, CD changer and armrest, highline, cruise, Lux pack 1 and self-fitted sat nav.

So slightly lower spec than yours (no leather or sun roof) but 8K less miles. As the car was mint I originally advertised at 14.5K + £200 for the sat nav in auto trader (included room for haggling) but got no interest. I reduced to 13,950 + 200 and calls came in at about 2 or 3 a week - eventually selling to someone from a Pistonheads advert. Like I say, eventually settled for 13750 all in - I thought this was rather good - between 60-63% retained value after 3 years was a pretty good result especially in this economic climate.

I think if you can afford to wait then the price you're asking is about right. If you want to sell quicker I'd suggest that you drop it slightly below £14,000 so that you car falls into the searches for 2005 cars between 13000-14000 rather than 14000-15000. Good luck with your sale.

I'm already missing the ol'girl but now on the lookout for an E93 330D... :)

ucj, I think you did pretty well there. Good sale. +++

redbaron - please don't take my valuations personally. :grin: I'm just trying to prepare you for worst case. :uhoh:

If you want to sell quickly, I'd ask £12,500. If it's immaculate, you should push for at least 12k part-ex - dealers are getting VERY keen to sell cars so their best p-ex offer might be closer than usual to what you're likely to get privately ... saving you the hassle of a private sale.

If you can afford to wait (a little!) while for the right buyer, I'd leave it on Autotrader but (looking at other GTI's on there) drop the asking price to £13,249.

Thanks for all the replies - no offence taken at all Garcon! I knew when I asked what I was letting myself in for.

ucj - well done on getting such a good price!

Think I will drop the price to under £13,500 and see if that doesn't stir up a bit more interest. Might also try the dealer for a decent p/ex price again. Was offered about £12,500 a couple of months ago so will see what they come up with.

Cheers,

Simon.

I've just sold mine for £13,750 - took about 4 weeks to sell. Mine was an 05/05 with 22K miles, xenons, winter pack, CD changer and armrest, highline, cruise, Lux pack 1 and self-fitted sat nav.

So slightly lower spec than yours (no leather or sun roof) but 8K less miles. As the car was mint I originally advertised at 14.5K + £200 for the sat nav in auto trader (included room for haggling) but got no interest. I reduced to 13,950 + 200 and calls came in at about 2 or 3 a week - eventually selling to someone from a Pistonheads advert. Like I say, eventually settled for 13750 all in - I thought this was rather good - between 60-63% retained value after 3 years was a pretty good result especially in this economic climate.

I think if you can afford to wait then the price you're asking is about right. If you want to sell quicker I'd suggest that you drop it slightly below £14,000 so that you car falls into the searches for 2005 cars between 13000-14000 rather than 14000-15000. Good luck with your sale.

I'm already missing the ol'girl but now on the lookout for an E93 330D... :)

Hi ucjtckc - I bought your car - small world! Really enjoying the car!

PS I think you got a good sale too! ;)

Cheers

Phil