B8 AMI Retrofit

jayo

You see I'm confused here, the AMI kit is only for cars with DVD nav MMI high, not for cars with Chorus/Concert or Symphony.

Unless you can link us to a specific Kufatec product there is no solution for Ipod.

But you can now factory order the A4/A5 Radio low systems with the new CAN based AMI interfaces. So it should not be long before a kit is available for retrofit.

There are part numbers for the CAN based systems (the main unit is 8T0057785)

HOWEVER, with the MMi system it took a year from a part number being released to them actually being available to buy as a retrofit at a UK Dealer. So you will have a long wait on your hands.

The AMi on MMi high takes 120TU to fit (just over an hour) and to be honest I can't see the CAN AMi being much more timewise to fit.

Well the kit became available to order this Saturday. So now it's the waiting game. I'd be very suprised if it turns up within in the next two months.

cool! that info hasn't made it way across the pond! dealer here in dublin had no idea there was a retrofit available! any idea of the cost? is it something you can DIY?

cheers

jayo

thats about €450 plus fitting so i'm guessing about €600 all in :/ that's pricey!! pity you can't DIY

i presume the retro-fit AMI has the same functionality as the SD card reader ie track display, play lists, control from the steering wheel etc?

• 3 weeks later...

Nelson

What is the scope of the delivery?

AMI Unit

Interface Cable

Ipod Lead

New Glovebox or something else.

The only reason I ask is that the AMI (CAN) is not a replacement for the CD changer, it mounts in the glovebox like the MOST AMI. So does your kit of parts come with a new glovebox and if not, how do you mount the AMI.

Nelson

What is the scope of the delivery?

AMI Unit

Interface Cable

Ipod Lead

New Glovebox or something else.

The only reason I ask is that the AMI (CAN) is not a replacement for the CD changer, it mounts in the glovebox like the MOST AMI. So does your kit of parts come with a new glovebox and if not, how do you mount the AMI.

Yeah I suspected that was the case as the loom (arrived last week) didn't mention the replacement of the glovebox at all, from what I read in the instructions the system is pretty much invisible to the eye. The instructions only seem to show what needs to be moved and doesn't show pictures of the AMi itself.

Tomorrow will tell :cool:

Well I haven't bothered to take any pictures of the unit because it looks exactly the same as the DIN unit on MMi High. So it looks like the CANBUS AMi is staying DIN shaped for the time being.

Time Units to fit is listed at 180TU including the removal of glovebox and coding :) At our prices that would make it £570.00 inc VAT for just AMi and no changer or £728.00 if you wanted a new glovebox in order to keep Changer & AMi. Ouch!

I'm confused by this, the Radio low systems have the CD player/changer built in to the radio, so Concert/Chorus are single CD and symphony is 6 CD.

How do you lose the CD changer by fitting AMI?

Are you talking about an additional 6 CD in the glovebox, which doesn't even exist yet?

AMI fits in the glovebox like the high AMI, so installation would require the following.

1. AMI can based

2. Wiring harness

3. New glovebox

4. Ipod lead

Then the appropriate coding I guess done by SVM over VAS and the internet.

I'm confused by this, the Radio low systems have the CD player/changer built in to the radio, so Concert/Chorus are single CD and symphony is 6 CD.

How do you lose the CD changer by fitting AMI?

Are you talking about an additional 6 CD in the glovebox, which doesn't even exist yet?

AMI fits in the glovebox like the high AMI, so installation would require the following.

1. AMI can based

2. Wiring harness

3. New glovebox

4. Ipod lead

Then the appropriate coding I guess done by SVM over VAS and the internet.

Ahhh true true, sorry I was getting muddled up with A6! You are correct the B8 A4 will defo need a new glovebox in that case.

(6CD Changer in glovebox does exist on A4/A5 now by the way :) )

• 6 months later...

Hi

I just took delivery of a 2007 Audi A4 (57 plate). Is there anyway to get a version of Audi AMI installed that would allow me to work the menus through the MMI display? It is the S Line model and has DVD Sat Nav with a 6 disc changer in the glovebox. The MMI display is on the centre console about halfway down with the SD card slots in behind it.

I'm willing to do almost anything to get this done - even install a full new radio system with a different MMI if need be.

Many thanks

Martin

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Nelson,

Having just bought a 2008 A4 B8 with MMI DVD Nav (2G I guess), but no AMI, I've been looking into having it fitted. Is it only certain dealers doing it at £399 or should it be all of them? My local dealer have just quoted £575.....

Alternatively does anyone know if there would be warranty implications in having it done by a third party installer?

• 2 weeks later...