Engine improvements

AndrewGray

I had a quick search through the forum for what i'm looking for but I couldnt find anything except for talk about chargers!

I'd love to charge it but I dont have the cash at the moment.

Anyway, I have a rolling road day coming up in Feb, so I am looking to try and get the car running as well as possible.

I am doing oil, filter, gearbox atf change, break fluid change, power steering fluid and fuel filter with Audi parts.

Now i'm trying to find out about what spark plugs to go for? I read that Bosch Platinum +4 are a good choice? What are you guys using?

Performance leads? What leads are you using? Where did you get them from?

Air filter? Standard at the moment, have any of you upgraded?

Anything else I can do to help get the most out of the engine?

Cheers

Andrew

I think the best thing you can do is stick a tank of decent super unleaded in it - V Power or Tesco 99.

Good answer! :)

As for whats possible, the 340Bhp and 360BHP versions of the engine are probably at the max for an NA engine. Audi did a good job of squeezing out the power. Gains can be realised but the cost is expotential.

What you can do in cost order:

Make sure everthing is spot on.

A 'Performance' air filter - Maybe nothing

Improve briething with a non restrictive exhaust (cat back 2.5")- Maybe 5%

A remmap - Maybe 10%

Improve briething with a non restrictive exhaust (Sports Cats 100 CPI) - maybe 2% - Maybe fail MOT

If you did all that I would be supprised if you saw 15% in total for a 2K investment. What you may see and I felt this was better pick up with an unrestrictive CAT back exhaust (twin 2.5" pipes and a X-Pipe). So for less than a K you may get a more responsive car with a little more grunt that sounds fecking awesome! :D

:devil:

Mike

Thanks for the replies,

So if i'm wanting to renew the leads I should just go for standard ones? I take it there arent any aftermarket performance ones? (I cant find any anyway)

Plugs wise i'll go for what I said above.

Custom stainless exhaust with X-pipe is on the way.

Performance filter? Which kind and where did you get yours from?

And some high-ron petrol ! Sorted :cool:

I don't have a sports filter. I may switch at the next service but won't for the sake of it. For me, a K&N would be the probable choice as it is cleanable.

As for plug leads these things use coil packs so no leads. I dont know if there is a sports coil pack. Must investigate.

Good luck and post up you rolling road results.

Mike

I was just about to post a question along these lines. I'm having to do some work on the airbox, and remembered this post from a while back:

http://www.tyresmoke.net/forum/audi-a8-s8/84925-high-performance-air-intake-kits-cone-filter.html

It looks like the mesh on the MAF causes a restriction to the airflow and it may be better off without it. The post above refers to this website:

Browser Warning

Has anyone taken the mesh off their MAF? Any problems as a result?

I doubt any stone will have so much speed after bouncing around the airbox to be able to penetrate the air filter and damage the MAF, so the mesh on the MAF seems a bit pointless. Although then again why would Audi put it there?

Cheers

Goz

I've seen Cavalier, Vectra, Polo, Astra and the S8 MAF and every one has mesh of some sort. I think it serves 3 purposes, to stop large objects entering the MAF, to stop you cleaning it with your fingers (joke) and to disturb the air stream as it enters the sensor area.

I read on the MK2 Cavalier forums some time back somebody removed the mesh and I think he noticed no difference, maybe even a slightly poorer throttle response. Whatever the outcome was, I think he eventually changed the MAF for another one with the mesh in place again.

Thanks DJStrange. Perhaps the Negative Boost article noticed an improvement with their Audi because its a turbo, and because its MAF had a mesh at both ends? S8 is a different animal so I'll leave the MAF alone. I need to stop worrying about the airbox, MAF, etc, and just get a X-pipe and better exaust fitted.

Cheers