Lighter socket (+12v)

Abs

Hello all,

I never normally use the front lighter socket, however, just connecting my phone charger to it, and have noticed that it is a constant +12v all the time. Even with the key out of the ignition and the car off.

Is this normal? Shouldn't it turn off when the car is off?

I was thinking that. But then I thought an easier way of doing it is simply putting a switch inline with the +ve wire going to the lighter socket. That way, I can switch it on and off.

Does anyone know how to get to the wires behind the lighter socket?

I may sound dumb here, but instead of taking it apart , why not unplug whatever device is plugged in? Or you can get a multi socket adaptor that does have a on/off switch from Halfords if the device / phone charger really has to stay plugged in but not powered

As far as I know they are both (front and rear Lighter sockets) live all the time.

The rear is turned off with the rear electric window isolator though in case you didn't know..

lol i know it would be easier, but its for an FM modulator for my ipod, and it means unlpugging it and plugging it back in every time i get into the car, which is a bit of a pain.

Does anyone know how to access the cables going to the back of the front lighter socket? Does the socket simply pull out?

This little aside....

"The rear is turned off with the rear electric window isolator though in case you didn't know.."

....saved me ripping the wiring apart as the fuse was OK but no juice out the rear ciggy lighter!

I pressed the switch and Hey Presto - it works again!

This little aside....

"The rear is turned off with the rear electric window isolator though in case you didn't know.."

....saved me ripping the wiring apart as the fuse was OK but no juice out the rear ciggy lighter!

I pressed the switch and Hey Presto - it works again!

Glad to have saved some ripping. Useful device for turning my DVD player off when my son falls asleep on long journeys +++

I leave my FM Modulator plugged in all the time, and to be honest its an extra red light in the darkness = looks like a security device! So I leave it. Its not going to run the battery down as has been said unless left for weeks. Eventually I am going to get around to replacing the FM thing with a hard wired adaptor to replace the CD changer input (as I never use it) but till then, its not a concern and mines left plugged in 24/7