Cost of a Replacement Key

whippg

Hi All I'm a new member (after reading up on here for ages before buying my A4) I just wanted to share with you all a success story I've had with my local stealers When I bought the car (ex lease) it only came with one fold out plip key. So I reluctantly approached the stealers to get a replacement and get both keys + car re-coded. My Local stealer (Preston) quoted £150 for this. Blackburn quoted £110 and Stafford £120. Finally I approached Lake District Audi who after checking chassis number etc advised ti would cost £87.10 all in incl recoding (£54 + VAT for key - £25 to recode all keys to car). Went back to Preston who 'after checking with the parts manager' said "Oh we quote £150 for the old 2 part key, but the new one which yours is is cheaper. That way customers are sometimes pleasantly surprised". They said the new key would cost £53.79 + VAT (£61.86) and as I had been messed about they would 'stand the labour charge for recoding' Result or what? - How can these stealers all get away with charging soooo much over the odds for the same part? Hope this post might help others in the same situation to play the stealers off against each other.