Using a Dension Gateway 100 ipod connector with Audi RNS-E head unit?

alFR

Hi,

I am researching fitting a Dension Gateway 100 and CD changer retention kit to a B7 A4 with the RNS-E head unit and a glovebox CD changer. Despite a couple of evenings of intensive Googling, I can't find info on a couple of things:

1. Whether the current Gateway 100 (GW16XXX part number) displays track info on the DIS and allows you to scroll through playlists, albums etc. or not: some sites (and the user guide, although this does say this function is head unit specific) say it does and

even shows it working, albeit in an A3, but the description on ipodcarkitdirect says it just maps your first 5 playlists to the 5 CD changer positions.

2. How the CD changer retention kit switches between the changer and the ipod: again, some places say it switches automatically (presumably when you connect the iPod) but according to some (like

) it requires a fair bit of fiddling with the head unit.

Anyone who fits these or has one themselves got any input on either of these? Also, anyone got any idea what a fair price is for this fitted and whether it affects the warranty at all?

thanks!

Al

No it doesn't show information about tracks in the DIS, well on an AUdi it doesn't.

No it doesn't automatically switch, you need to press certain sequences on the HU to switch and there must be a CD in the changer or it will not switch.

You could always download the manual from Dension

Edited by craigyb

Cheers for the info, I thought that was probably the case. Presuming you have one/have fitted them (I guess you might have given your website and other posts on here ;)) do you know if the Gateway maps the first 5 playlists on the iPod to the CD changer positions? If you look at the user guide here it doesn't appear to do that, it talks about CD1 scrolling through playlists, CD 2 scrolling through artists, CD3 scrolling through albums etc. which looks like it'd be pretty impossible to do if it doesn't display any of the titles in the DIS.

p.s. there don't appear to be any instructions for the retention kit available online anywhere (I've looked a LOT) and the Dension GW100 manual doesn't mention it. The only thing I found was the video I linked to above.

The CAN based version of the GW100 (for Golf/Skoda Octavia/Seat Leon etc) displays tracks and artists on the DIS and you can use the wiper stalk/MFSW to operate the gateway. This is not the case on the A4.

I'm just looking at that video and it does look like an A4 not an A3. The CAN version uses the whole screen of the DIS rather than just the top part of the screen.

I have seen one on a Lambo which uses the RNS-E using the same part of the DIS screen, so it's possible that there is a new version out.

Edited by shark_90

Yeah, I tell you this is very confusing. Here's what I've found from different sources so far:

• Audi dealer tells me it will have no track display, maps first 5 CD playlists to CD1-5.
  • ipodcarkit direct tell me via text chat that it will probably have no text display but might do, will use CD1 for scrolling through playlists etc. as I described above and as it says in the manual I linked to.
  • ipodcarkit direct say on the product page on their site no text display, maps first 5 playlists to CD1-5, contrdicting what they've told me in text chat.
  • Videos on youtube say it will have text display on the DIS (see
    for one they say is def. an A4).

Dension website is useless, very little info at all. It shouldn't really be this hard to work out exactly what I'd be buying, should it? :confused:

Thanks. that one unfortunately doesn't appear to be available in the UK, the only one here seems to be the AI2/AU2 part number wich according to the Enfig site doesn't do text. The connectors for the AI2/AU2 and the AC1 look to be substantially different according to the Enfig site, so I've no idea if both will fit?

I might just get the Audi one and do away with the changer, it'd be a lot easier!

The reason why it's not available in the UK is that we do not have the digital radio feature on the Audi cars like they do in the states. It uses the SiriusXM option on the US cars to display the track information.

This has been around for some months now and if your RNS-E is running US firmware 250 I think, then you cna use the above mentioned Ipod interface and dislay track information.

Other than that, your screwed until Dension actually release a can version of the gateway 100 for Audi in the EU.

Ah, OK. I did wonder if it was a US/UK difference in the head units. Thanks for confirming that!

Do you know how well people manage using the Gateway if you can't see the text info? It looks from the manual as if they've dropped the CD1-5 assignment of the first 5 playlists in favour of the new menu system I described above (CD1 scrolling through playlists, CD 2 scrolling through artists etc.), which looks like it'd be pretty hard to use without the text...

I don't actually use one myself as my car has AMI, but when I have installed them for people it takes a while to get used to them. But if you read the instructions carefully and watch what the Ipod is doing after certain key presses then you can work out what you need to do.

Thanks very much for all the info!

I think I will go for the Dension rather than the Audi unit as I think it's a bit more future-proof (I can't see Audi updating theirs for new iPods now the AMI is out, while there's a fair chance Dension might upgrade the firmware) and I would like to retain the changer if possible.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to update on this in case anyone else was looking for an ipod solution for the same model car. Had the Gateway unit fitted today by craigyb. Great bloke, very quick and neat install - took great care over wiring layout behind the dash and everything. Recommended! +++

The unit works as Craig described above i.e. using the new menu system with CD1 allowing playlist selection, 2 allowing artist selection etc. It's actually pretty straightforward to use, even though you do need to remember which playlist is which (or have a listen to the first track and work it out!). Switching between changer and iPod is easy enough too. Anyway, a good solution in my book with the iPod neatly hidden in the glovebox in a clip to stop it moving about. Well worth it if you can't get AMI!

• 1 year later...

Hi I'm new to the forum and looking for some advice if possible.

I have a 2006 A3 with an audi concert head unit. I recently bought a dension 100 kit (16GWAU2) to play my iPhone through the car.

When I plugged the unit into the back of the radio and connected my phone I'm not getting anything happening. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.