Does Audi sell the AMI kit?

Wizbit

I want to add iPod support to my car and i have done my research on here regarding the comparions between the Audi AMI and the Denison Gateway 500. I figured the AMI route would be best.

However, i just phoned Northampton Audi for the price of the AMI kit and they said they don't sell them, and can only sell me the Denison 500.

I'm confused by this... surely Audi should offer the genuine Audi AMI over the Denison unit? If the Denison is all thats available, then i may well go with that, but i would prefer the AMI route.

Is this just Northampton Audi, or is this general Audi policy? I'm sure other people on here have sourced the AMI units from Audi?

well, there isnt a kit, but you can buy the parts to retro fit it.

you can buy the loom 4F0051592A and the AMI head unit 4F0057785/B and i think you might need also a Dash Panel Box for double din slot and a retaining bracket( depending on whats there /chassis number etc. The fitting instructions are enclosed in 4F0051592A. If you want a copy of them before you decide if you want to do it or not let me know and i can send you a set.

I think i would get somebody else to fit it, just in case. I'm sure its simple enough, but would hate to break something!

Does the AMI verison support full text/information from the iPod? I've heard that only the Denison supports the full track listings etc?

Craigyb - i see your also coming down to Lutterworth in June for the A8 meet... are you just coming down for the meeting, or are you combining this trip with a bit of business?

If the latter, i might see if i can book you for an AMI install... let me know.