1999 VOLKSWAGEN GOLF 1.6 16V SE 5dr Hatchback advice

zaink

Hello,

I was wondering if someone can help me out. I am looking to buy a VW golf 1.6 1999 model. I test drive it today and basically I could hear a crackling sound when sharp turning (in reverse) and the exhaust also makes noises when engine is rev'd. With that in mind I got an offer for £1000 for it, as I would need to spend some money on it for repairs and the tax was expiring in a few days aswell. Rest of the car is pretty good condition and has 74,000 miles.

Do you think its worth it? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Hello,

I was wondering if someone can help me out. I am looking to buy a VW golf 1.6 1999 model. I test drive it today and basically I could hear a crackling sound when sharp turning (in reverse) and the exhaust also makes noises when engine is rev'd. With that in mind I got an offer for £1000 for it, as I would need to spend some money on it for repairs and the tax was expiring in a few days aswell. Rest of the car is pretty good condition and has 74,000 miles.

Do you think its worth it? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Welcome to TSN!

There are plenty more out there, so don't bother buying it. An exhaust noise could be anything, including catalyst baffles. Meaning a new catalyst would be needed.

Noises when turning could also be anything from CV boots, to the steering rack to the clutch!

Walk away!