Golf 1.8 to 2ltr 16V engine swap question

side-show-bob

Hi all

I was driving our lasses car back from work today (Mk3 golf Cabriolet) when it suddenly lost power and then acceleration, then the battery light came on and it died . The cam belt has snapped and i think the problem originated from the water pump.

Can anybody tell me if the 2ltr 16V GTi ABF engine will drop straight in or will I need to do some modifications, and if so, what? It currently has a 1.8 ADZ engine in it.

The 2ltr ABF GTi engine is very local to me and I need to get the car running again as soon as possible. My wife is currently driving me to work at 5am as she needs a car during the day!

I'd upgrade the brakes. Not sure if you have drums on the back at the momnet, so you'll need to change them to discs, and up the fronts.

Afterall, you'd be going from a 115 BHP? (or maybe even 90 BHP) to nigh on 150 BHP. You'll also need to upgrade the suspension/springs/driveshafts/clutch etc etc. It's alot of work. not sure on the gearbox.

ECU's too.

Best bet would be for you to get a hold of ETKA, the VW parts system and load it onto your PC. You can then check the part numbers for the GTi against yours.

It will be a good start.