Quick question re: Petrol in Diesel

tasty

Summary so far:

- Bora Sport TDi 2001

- Petrol in Diesel

- Didn't switch on after (realised mid-fillup)

- Tank completely drained

- Disconnected filter and Fuel lines blown through to clear (by mouth not compressed)

- Cleared petrol again from tank

Next: Bought new Fuel Filter but unsure whether need to fit as did not try to start engine, only turned on ignition for steering for AA tow home. The pump turns with ignition on - you can hear that. But that's all I know.

Do I need to: Fit new filter. Then fill it with Diesel treatment. Then draw through fuel lines to tank (via fuel lines under seat using manual pump). Then fill tank 49ls Diesel via many jerry cans (or rather 2 jerrys and many trips) before starting. (?)

The above is what I plan to do unless you can advise any part unnecessary.

Thanks IA

Edited by tasty

Thanks mate,

Filter, liquid pump and fuel treatment returned for handy cash now. All in all this should cost me £65 for Laser Fluid Extractor (Halfords) £10 two 10litre cannisters from Builder Depot (for old fuel which can use in the bike), 2 5litre jerrys at £12 (2 already owned filled up from this job) + time/fuel on bike buying/returning. Money-wise = £~87 otherwise £~200 through AA. Plus I got 2 extra jerrys and liquid extractor tool + exp, oh and £~29 worth petrol for bike otherwise wasted (I just used some - is ok).

Just putting this for reference.

Thanks again

Edited by tasty

Glad you got it fixed without the AA, friend used to do this both ways all the time, & a bit of one in the other was OK, in fact he reckoned his diesel (company) car went better with a bit of petrol mixed into the diesel !

Glad you got it fixed without the AA, friend used to do this both ways all the time, & a bit of one in the other was OK, in fact he reckoned his diesel (company) car went better with a bit of petrol mixed into the diesel !

Keh, now you tell me. I put a whole arm in there and soaked it dry with kitchen roll ;) (I did.) It's all fixed now, though I did get curiously questioned at the petrol station - kids apparently been posting fuel in letterboxes. Didn't add up, nosy b'ard - I'm 32 and clean shaven. ;)

Cheers

Ok, one problem. Need tips on refitting the "thermonuclear warhead" correctly. I gave my brother-in-law a couple of seconds to pre-empt me on the issue. He got it. Yes, fuel indicator - not reading right. I'm guessing that's the gauge sticking out on the "warhead" - well, when I screwed in the oversized plastic screw head it did want to keep popping back up. Do I need to wrangle that 'metal stick with a ceramic slab' over a groove or something? Any tips appreciated. Thanks. (Still, it works - that's the main thing!)

• 7 months later...