MALAYSIA F1 GP - Banter thread

CarMad

So one race down and everything is up in the air. Brawn GP got a one two and Jenson Button the second race win of his F1 career.

KERS when it works looks to be a real weapon and could end up deciding the season, Hamilton did a cracking job and used it to great effect to get from 18th to 4th or was that 3rd well thats up for debate as well. It seems the stewards want to re-review the decision even though Toyota don't, why is anyones guess because nobody is complaining. :rolleyes:

Ferrari looked strong at the start but that red flame wasn't so bright towards the end of the race, they should be stronger here but will they have more reliability issues? I don't think so but I can but hope.

Williams are looking at running KERS for the first time which might make them a real threat if they don't make so many silly mistakes.

Williams, Toyota and Brawn still have the appeal hanging over their heads for the diffuser, but why was nothing mention about the protest that was withdrawn by Williams against Redbull and Ferrari on the BBC, I do hope they aren't in Bernie's pocket getting the TV deal. :mad:

Anyway, it was a cracking first race and the second should be even better, F1 is looking good for this year and I do think the new aero package is having the desired effect. They do run closer and with hope there will be even more overtaking, shame they couldn't be a little better looking. :rolleyes:+++

Catch the Race on TV with no advert breaks. :grin:

All times BST

Friday 3 April

Practice: 0255-0405, BBC Red Button/online & BBC Radio 5 Live sports extra/online;

0655-0835, BBC Red Button/online & BBC Radio 5 Live sports extra/online

Saturday 4 April

Practice: 0655-0805, BBC Red Button/online & BBC Radio 5 Live sports extra/online

Qualifying: 0900-1130, BBC One/online & BBC Radio 5 Live sports extra/online

Sunday 5 April

Race: 0900-1200, BBC One/BBC Red Button/online & BBC Radio 5 Live/online

Interactive Forum: 1200-1300, BBC Red Button/online

Highlights: 1900-2000, BBC Three/online

KERS when it works looks to be a real weapon and could end up deciding the season, Hamilton did a cracking job and used it to great effect to get from 18th to 4th or was that 3rd well thats up for debate as well. It seems the stewards want to re-review the decision even though Toyota don't, why is anyones guess because nobody is complaining. :rolleyes:

So LH position had nothing to do with 2 safety car periods, a raft of non finishers and Vetel and Kubica running each other off the track in the last few laps. Took his luck well but come on I can not believe how it gets written to read that LH overtook everyone to finish 4th / 3rd!!! That was nothing more than a lucky back marker drive IMO!! Don't forget the Toyotas both started from the pit lane (last) and Trulli ended up 3rd or 4th (depending on link below)

The 3rd / 4th debate rumbles on - BBC SPORT | Motorsport | Formula 1 | Hamilton's Aussie finish in doubt

So LH position had nothing to do with 2 safety car periods, a raft of non finishers and Vetel and Kubica running each other off the track in the last few laps. Took his luck well but come on I can not believe how it gets written to read that LH overtook everyone to finish 4th / 3rd!!! That was nothing more than a lucky back marker drive IMO!! Don't forget the Toyotas both started from the pit lane (last) and Trulli ended up 3rd or 4th (depending on link below)

Same old same old. Hamilton had physically to overtake pretty much everyone he passed for his fourth place on the track finish, in a car that was a bit of a pup. The Toyotas did well, but you can hardly deny that the McLaren is not in the same league performance-wise at the moment, hence people are saying Lewis did well.

His finish had nothing to do with the safety cars because everyone else had the same advantages and disadvantages thereof. He didn't manage to sneak an early pit-stop or anything like that to jump himself up the field, and he didn't gain unduly on the cars in front of him, because on both occasions he was already running close behind other competitors when the safety car was deployed. The second safety car effectively froze the running order until the end of the race anyway (third and fourth notwithstanding), since nobody could overtake until after the finish line.

Same old same old. Hamilton had physically to overtake pretty much everyone he passed for his fourth place on the track finish, in a car that was a bit of a pup. The Toyotas did well, but you can hardly deny that the McLaren is not in the same league performance-wise at the moment, hence people are saying Lewis did well.

His finish had nothing to do with the safety cars because everyone else had the same advantages and disadvantages thereof. He didn't manage to sneak an early pit-stop or anything like that to jump himself up the field, and he didn't gain unduly on the cars in front of him, because on both occasions he was already running close behind other competitors when the safety car was deployed. The second safety car effectively froze the running order until the end of the race anyway (third and fourth notwithstanding), since nobody could overtake until after the finish line.

Yup same old same old divisions..........+++

The safety car as we all know is a great leveller in races as it packs the field up again and dismisses any gains or advantages the front runners have built up. Without actually watching the whole race again I am not really sure how many cars LH actually overtook ?? Suspect it was about 4 so not the storming performance the British press and fans make it out to be!!! Only 12 cars I think were actually racing at the end!!

Yup same old same old divisions..........+++

The safety car as we all know is a great leveller in races as it packs the field up again and dismisses any gains or advantages the front runners have built up. Without actually watching the whole race again I am not really sure how many cars LH actually overtook ?? Suspect it was about 4 so not the storming performance the British press and fans make it out to be!!! Only 12 cars I think were actually racing at the end!!

13 finishers, but Lewis would have had to overtake some of the retirees before they retired. I haven't re-run the race, but I think he overtook eight or nine cars. You don't get to see all of them on screen, you have to follow the telemetry to spot them from home sometimes.

Can't wait! Gonna be another good one! :)

Working saturday so thank god for the internet and the BBC's live streaming for the quali!!! +++

Hope you don't intend on abusing my old mans internet conection! your there to build the empire not abuse it :P