defective cat - please help

jgba8

i have a 2002 a8 3.7q sport with 139,000 miles FASH from new. engine management light came on and brought it to stealers. they advise that the cat on the left bank is defective and needs replaced with lamda probe as well - cost for work £1,250 please.

is it possible for a cat to go defective? and should i replace the lamda probes first and any other sensors that tell the management system there is a problem with this cat before shelling out for a new cat. Also noticed the car a little harded to start when warm, engine dose not fire up properley first time, rely's on starter for 10-15sec longer than when cold. when it dose fire it idles at 6-700rpm before comming up to idle at 8-850rpm

any idea's please

thanks

jim

:ffs:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jim,

I got a pair of HJS 100-cell cats from Milltek-sport for £750 for the pair, admittedly a bit more pricey than Sutherlands.

I was looking on Ebay yesterday for various parts from Germany and saw these, shame I didnt search on ebay before I paid £750 for new ones, may be worth a try:

Audi RS4 / RS6 / S4 Bi Rennkat 100 zeller Edelstahl on eBay, also Sonstige, Sportauspuffe, Auto-Tuning -Styling, Auto Motorrad Teile (end time 13-Apr-09 10:09:10 BST)

• 1 month later...

Just an update of where i am. Replaced the MAF, checked all Lambda probes - all ok and hot starting problem persists. The hot starting problem only occurs anf the car is left off for 3 hours. Re starting from hot within the 3 hours is no problem.

Engine managment light came on after resetting with Dealer. Problem now with left bank pre-cat. Re-set again and after 300 miles Engine light on again checked with dealer again now problem with left bank cat, pre-cat and right bank pre-cat.

Dealer insists nothing else wrong with car and cost to repair £750 for each precat and cat as quoted previous. My understading is cat's generally do not fail and if they do they is another underlying reason.

Intend to try the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor to see if this sorts the Hot starting issue

Will update

jim

And cats do fail without rattling. I had the same issue with my 2.8 - engine management light kept coming on after resetting; defective cat code on the Vagcom; but no rattling. And I had trouble starting it if I'd only run the engine for a very short period (to straighten the wheels for a wash) and then left it a while before restarting. My local garage swore it was fine if it didn't rattle - until it blew! But I think he got some aftermarket cats 'cos the price was nowhere near the figures you guys are talking about.

• 1 year later...